1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quality lights that I can afford?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by MannyEdge, Sep 21, 2006.

1. MannyEdge

MannyEdge LawnSite Member

I spoke to Chuck at Florida outdoor lighting yesterday and he was giving me some suggests on what to purchase. I am looking at purchasing this 300W Multi tap transformer made by Vista. I need a multi tap transformer because I am going to have some very long runs.

I need to purchase some pathway and flood lights I can afford. Can anyone give me some ideas from Chuck's website? I cannot see savings of going to Home cheapo route. If I cannot afford them now I will wait until I can. But, I cannot purchase light fixtures for $80.00 a piece either. I know you guys are going to tell me it is worth buying the more expensive ones. I am not going to purchase them so please leave your ideas in my price range otherwise your comments will not be worth even writing.

2. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

I doubt you are going to get any help because of your last sentence. Maybe you will, just keep in mind that the pros that visit this board do not owe you anything. The tone of your post doesn't make you seem like you would be greatful for the suggestions these guys may share. The reason I am writing this post is because I understand that you may not have meant to come off like you did.

Just my opinion,

3. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what your price range is to give you any advice. you said $80 is too much so is $75 o.k. You contradict yourself in your statement above. You don't want to spend what it will take but you don't want to go to home depot. but you will wait....wait for what?? If you won't spend the $$ on quality what exactly are you waiting for. If your putting this in for yourself I am not on this site to help you DIY(find a professional). If your going to install this for a customer I am not going to instruct you on the cheapest install you can get away with and try to look like a professional. Hurts the market.
  4. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Manny, quality fixtures cost what they cost. I don't know what you are trying to ask for. Are you thinking that we can get them cheaper and then sell them to you for less? If that's it, your wrong. We pay for quality and then charge for quality. I'm wondering why Chuck is willing to sell to you for contractor prices. You could check with the sponsor of this forum, maybe he has something that is more in your price range, what ever that may be.
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

look at vista fixtures. you can potentially buy them for $40-$60.00/fixture.
  6. MannyEdge

Nightscapespaul, where did you get that Chuck is going to sell fixtures to me at contractor prices? Please do not spread rumors that do not exist. I never said that Chuck will. You need to watch what you say. I think you suggest people to shop at Florida outdoor lighting and I took it. Please, next time watch what you say. Chuck also sells direct to consumer. Also, where did I say I wanted to buy them for you cheaper. Where are you getting this information??? I want to know where I can purchase quality fixtures in my price range. That is it!!!!

I am looking to pay between $40-50 per fixture. I think I am going to go to with Chuck to purchase my fixtures. He has been very helpful.

Thanks Yardpro, that was the answer I was looking for. You guys need to calm down. I am not DNL. :)
  7. MannyEdge

Niteliters, how are you confuse? Let me help you out as you are confused. I am looking for quality lights that I can afford. I do not think you have to pay a high price for fixtures. I think you can purchase fixtures at lower cost and still be pretty good. Is that what you tell your clients? The more expensive fixtures are the only way to go??? That the only way to have quality fixtures is pay the price?? I do not think I would use you to install lights for me. You do not seem to be honest.
  8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

ok chuck has a retail site outdoor lighting direct.com and he does sell to DIY'ers If chuck is selling to this guy at my price thats a conflict of intrest in my opinion.

Personally in your place I would wait til you could afford better. Can you afford to buy a 50 dollar light twice instead ?

If your dead set on doing this now at a price you can afford then look at the SPJ line. They are machined brass. Not as good as the cast or kichler or hadco line but definatly better than home cheapo. If your going to pinch pennies on lights chances are your going to pinch pennies when it comes to your "long runs" and use cheap or the wrong gauge wire and wont be able to get enough voltage anyways.
  9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Man I cant beilive I replied before I read this.

Yes... A higher end fixture is what the pros use. It does cost more. BUT it does last longer and is something we can back up with a warranty and put our names on. Now you calling him not honest wasnt fair just becuase you think your going to get the best for less...Let me tell you something... Contractor price on many of the high end lights we use is WAY above your 80 buck range.

Quality lights cost money. Your not going to get into the high end lights at your price range. Dont forget wire prices...photo cell... timers... grease tubes and splicing supplies...all this is going to add up FAST for you.

Now as for your last comments.. Generally the clients who call us are looking for the best and want a no hassel high performance system they aint gotta mess with. Yes the only way to have a quality system is to pay the price...(duh) And your right about one thing... Chances are you wouldnt even make it past the phone contact with a pro lighting contactor. Its obvious your a price shopper. Once again you ask for advice from seasoned proffesionals then proceed to be rude.
  10. MannyEdge

Listen guys, I am coming here to get your advice on quality fixtures at a price I can afford. I do not feel the high price = quality fixtures. I assume you can purchase quality fixtures around $40-$50 per item and are pretty good. If you want to flame me because I am DIY then do so. I am coming here to the expert forum, but someone of you guys are not acting professional.