Quality lights?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Jerry and Sons, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I do not normally do any lighting but I was asked by my mother and father to install a good set of quality lights. I am hoping that you guys can point me in the right direction. Mom is looking for some up lighting and walkway lights, she wants something very soild. she currently has Malibu low voltage lights from home cheapo. It seems that these lights need to be replaced yearly. Please help.
    Thanks

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

cast... kichler...vista... focus among others all provide quality products. Try chuck at florida outdoor lighting or john deere landscapes. All will be much better than the malibus. Quality installation is very important as is quality components

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Since this project is for family, the first question would be budget. How much are they willing to spend on this system? I would suggest that you go to your local irrigation supply house. These distributors can show you some quality lighting products from several manufacturers. They can usually assist in design and installation as well. This support is crucial when installing professional equipment. Remember, you are not installing malibu and your not going to install it the same way as malibu instructs.

To list a few quality products that I have used: Kichler, Vista, FX, and CAST.

Good luck with this project and let me know if there is anything that I can do for you.

4. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Not sure about the budget yet but since the labor will obiviously be free I am sure that they will not be too cheap on the lights. I am currently looking to put six path way lights eight flood lights and three spot lights. Any ideas for product cost including a transformer lights and cable. Also this may seem like a stupid question but are the transforms hard wired or are they a plug in type?
    Thanks for all of the help!

5. Pro-Scapes

the price range can vary greatly. Depending on what wattage bulbs you use and the size transformer needed and the fixtures selected.

The length of the run and the path lights and such they select with vary the price so much there is no definate answer to your question. I dont want to get into contractors costs here but I would shop some prices and calculate how much wire and what wattage you will use. If you could provide pictures it may help some guys reccomend fixture placement... number of fixtures and wattages to start with.

Just off top of my head I would say your going to be looking at a 900w trans (calculated at average of 35w bulbs over your 17 lights) comes up with 595w so thats too much to place on a 600w trans.

Above ground transformers mostly are plug in type altho your going to need a dedicated 20a GFCI outlet with a weather proof cover on it.

Dont forget to include your costs of installation materials such as hubs, grease tubes, wire nuts if needed... photo cell and timer and soldering supplies.

6. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

We've used Hadco lights for a couple of years now and we're very happy with them. I've used most brands, but the quality of Hadco seems far superior to most (in my opinion). The CUL7 is a very popular pathway light for us. It's a good looking fixture and very durable.

7. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

(calculated at average of 35w bulbs over your 17 lights) comes up with 595w so thats too much to place on a 600w trans.

Horse puckey . If it has magnetic breakers no problemo.

8. Pro-Scapes

If you want to over load and short wire your systems... It wont be a part of my practice or my advice.

9. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

You have no clue what your talking about. Overloads nonsense at 595VA. You have 2 jobs under your belt and your an authority. Give me a break.

10. Pro-Scapes

I have more than 2 jobs under my belt and I also have many more years of electrical experience.

loading a trans to almost 100 percent of its rated output is not a good idea considering the resistance of the wire would put it actually over its rated output.

Sounds like someone else doesnt know what they are talking about. I cant think of ANYONE besides you on this board that would reccoment a 600w trans with 595w in bulbs PLUS wire resistance