Quality Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Thumb, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Green Thumb

Green Thumb LawnSite Member

I started a new business this past summer. Did it all myself.
    My pricing was approximately $40 for a yard that took 1.5 hours to mow.
    I would mow edge & trim. Does this sound about right to everyone. I would
    always go the extra distance to do a excellent job. My clientell all want me back.:usflag:

International 14' Trailer
    Kubota Z28 Zero Turn
    Exmark 36" Belt driven
    Lawn boy 21"
    Echo Edger
    Still Trimmer
    Still Blower

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Do you like working for $26 dollars an hour?

3. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

They all want you back? Gee what a shock! You are working for around $15 or less an hour once you figure in drive time, insurance, gas, equipment wear and tear, etc., your price is so low I am starting to think this is a joke thread.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Consider raising your prices soon, maybe now.

It does have that trolling ring to it...

5. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

ya... i'm pretty cheap, but thats wayyy cheaper. you might make a few bucks, everything may seem fine, but then when your mower is shot or some other really big expense comes along , that is when you'll all the sudden see that you are only profiting a tiny bit.. the biggest expenses are NOT the regular reoccuring ones for alot of us. they are the ones that dont happen for a long time and then WAM your hit with the reality that you should have had a business plan that factored depreciation of your equiptment into your prices... instead of something finally breaking and you all the sudden saying "gee! i need to charge more, i was wasting my time!".. sound logical? only u know what u need to charge... but i'd say $45-$70+/hour.. from what it seems like most people try for 60+/hour.. i get around 50-55... BUT im also fairly new, so my prices are a little lower so as to get a few more customers.. here on out they go up.. and fast. i suppose expenses are different for the bigger guys... i.e. the reoccuring expenses are prolly larger for them.

6. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

wow-im in florida and my average is 20 per mow-and ive always been able to do 18-20 a day-never had an issue with my pricing here-40 bucks a yard sounds great here.

7. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

But you can do 18-20 a day. If he was working a 9 hour day he could only get in 6 of the 40 doller yards. thats not very good pay.

8. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

this is true

9. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

This is a good point. Down here a solo can do 20 + a day at 20.00 each. Thats nice cash.

10. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

What size are your 20 dollar yards?