quality of cut on jd 737 ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cntryboymc, May 24, 2004.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

is anyone having quality of cut issues with jd ztrs?my 737 w/54"deck cuts so/so.it is really noticeable when i mow up to a property done by a ferris.any thoughts?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats really not good!

The cut of a FERRIS isn't really considered that good.

Thats like saying...."I got this Corvette, and I think theres something wrong, Geo Metro's are beating me from a traffic light."

Not saying that the cut of a FERRIS is comparable to a Geo Metro, but generally the Ferris isn't ranked in the top 3 for cut quality.

What specifically is the cut issue?

Strips of uncut grass?
    Sporadic Stringers?
    Poor Cut?

A few things to check.....

Engine RPM....MUST be 3750 no load. If you don't know your engine RPM's (ie, no tach) GET ONE!

Deck level side to side, with a 1/8" - 1/4" front pitch.

Properly sharpened and balanced OEM blades (Start with NEW blades).

Check all deck drive Idler pulleys for freedom of movement. Frozen deck idlers can cause deck belts to slip, glaze and prevent spindles from reaching full PTO RPM.

Final thing is mowing height. If your over 3.5", most decks loose their vacuum abilities and severely affect cut performance.

Cant think of anything else right now.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

cut height is a huge thing. like stated above anything over 3 inches for me is going to effect the cut quality

trevor

4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear your not getting a quality cut.

No problems on my 60" 7-iron...it's still cutting beautifully.

Sounds like a dumb question, but do you keep sharp blades on them? What type of blades are you using? We keep a sharp set of blades on at all times, using the JD high lifts. Are you discharging or mulching? I assume there is no buildup of grass under the deck? Like TLS said, make sure the deck pitch is correct and level.

5. cntryboymc

the machine was just at the jd dealer,had complete service done and collection system installed.the deck is clean,everything appears to be in good condition.i usually mow at 2.5"basically i have poor quality of cut.im getting fed up with the machine.if you guys were to buy a new ztr,what would you get?it seems like everyone in my area has a ferris or dixie chopper.when i get a little time i plan to demo a ferris,dixie chopper,exmark,scag,and a walker mower.any thoughts on these mowers or my problem with the jd?

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

2.5" !!!! I could almost put my blades on upside down and get a great cut at that low a height.

Something is wrong for sure.

Go back to my FIRST thing I told you to check.....ENGINE RPM......There's no way to tell just by listening to the engine as to how fast its spinning.

If I drop below 3580 RPM while cutting, my cut quality drops like a brick!

Spend $35 and get a tach, you can use it on all your mowers in the future.

7. cntryboymc

hey tls-what kind of mower would you buy if you had to do over?

8. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

trevor how high are you cutting?

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They haven't made it yet!!! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, Exmark has them all beat still.

I'd like to see more HP and speed out of them though.

I have a feeling your mower is totally fine, just in need of some fine tuning.

10. cntryboymc

thanks for the info guys!i do have sharp high lift blades on the machine.the service manager and a mechanic from the dealer are coming out this week to look at the machine.