quality of cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aclassic, May 3, 2005.

1. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

hey folks,
    before i invest too much time & $ into a homemade stripe kit i'd like to find out if anyone has had luck getting a Great Dane Gateway to stripe. i know it kinda has a strange deck but i'd like to know what you all think.
    i currently have the stock blades and a homemade chute blocker that blocks the entire chute.
    so my question is, would putting some high lifts on make it stripe? what about adjusting the pitch of the deck? does it matter that my chute is completely blocked? would putting mulching high lifts on make it better/worse?
    if blades wont fix it, does anyone have suggestions on laying a stripe w/ a kit (keeping in mind one side of the deck is offset and flips up)
  2. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used that kind of mower but raising the back of the mower 1/8-1/4" would help with striping. Also high lift blades would help as well. Also, some types of grass just doesn't stripe as well as other types.
  3. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

yeah, i've come to terms with the fact that the deck is offset, so theres a little bit of a strange cut, but still little to no stripe