Quality of Cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by james mcdonald, Mar 8, 2007.

1. james mcdonald

james mcdonald LawnSite Member

I am looking at the following three mowers and would like feed back on the quality of cut on lawns consisting of a combination of burmuda grass, fescue, and clover, cut down to 1-1/2 to 2 inches, side discharge. The grass is generally at about 3 to 4 inches in length when cut. I do not want to double cut.

2006 Scagg tiger cub with 48 inch velocity deck.
    2006 Dixon Kodiac with 50 inch deck
    2006 Toro Z master with 48 inch turbo force deck.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Well if you are cutting off that much grass at one time I would go with the toro turbo force deck. You can open the baffle all the way open and that will allow for all those clippings to be expelled easily. I dont cut they type of grass so take what I just said with a grain of salt.
  3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i second the turbo force. i've never used it, but from what i've heard and the conditions you listed, it sounds like the right choice.
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the Turbo Force deck on all my Toro's walkbehinds and Z and they have the best cut out there. I would highly reccomend you go with Toro.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I don't generally cut that short....
    But I do have a couple of lawns that are mostly bermuda and clover, with some fescue and other weeds mixed in... and I do cut those around 2"-2.5".

I've had great success with it using my 60" Command Cut deck (Cub Commercial / Lesco)

My advice to you is to demo all three of those you listed.

They probably all will do well.
    If not, try a Cub/Lesco.
  6. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, u must have some very well maintained lawns .Cutting at 1 1/2 inches the ground must be extremely flat to prevent scalping . 1 3/4--2.0 imo would be best . In my own experience my turbo force deck cuts superior to my walker 52 inch .Another optoin is to remove the"" turbo baffle"" 4 even greater long wet grass performance .

7. james mcdonald

james mcdonald LawnSite Member

Thanks to everyone that responded. Toros are also the mowers that I see most used on fine yards around here in Tulsa, Oklahoma. There are lots of other mowers available that I ususally see used on highway rights of way, but on residential type yards, toros are what I see most used. Thanks for your input, it will help me make my decision on what I will purchase.