Quality of cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, May 30, 2002.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Which cuts better on average...a ztr or a walkbehind?

2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

If you control your speed you cant tell a difference,at least thats been my experience.

3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Either will have a good cut as long as you keep blades sharp, blade drive belts tight, and don't overcut the capabilities of the mower. The advantage a Z has over a WB is in operator fatigue and in some cases, maneuverability.

4. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

I've found it's not so much the type of mower but the size of the deck that determines quality of cut. It's been my observation that smaller decks provide better cuts since they conform to irregularities in the turf better than larger decks. You have to weigh efficiency against quality of cut to determine which to use.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My 60" Dixie, and My 60" Lazer cut way....WAY.......W A Y . Better than my 48" SCAG WB or my 21" Lawnboy. And at greater speeds to boot! Don't know why, but I cant cut faster than 3rd gear (most of the time 2nd) on the SCAG, yet my ZTR's have always cut real nice even at some insane speeds!

6. It all depends on the type of grass and terrain different mowers for different grasses. All mowers if taken care of and blades sharpen very often will give a quality of cut. Also brands different mower brands also play into favor here. Guess after all I said there is no real true one answer for this all depends on the yard you are mowing at the time

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hello Dmk

The walk Behined Is Lighter. But the Rider Is Faster. I Have Ultracut Deck's On Both I Think The Walk behined Is a better finish.
    Johnny G.:cool: :cool:

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

im sure its a given ,but i think cut quality has as much to do with your knowledge of the machine as anything else.
    i can usually get one to do everything better after i get to know the machine.
    sometimes that takes a while. im still learning about the lazer.