Quality of Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mowinmoney, Jan 14, 2004.

1. mowinmoney

mowinmoney LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

We will be installing mulch this coming year and I am trying to find the highest quality mulch available. What would you suggest. Anyone know any good wholesale provides in southern Mich or Northren Indiana

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I use mainly triple shredded hardwood mulch for its excellent holding capabilities on slopes and fine appearance.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Double or triple ground hardwood is the best IMO.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Who ever you find make sure there not grinding RR ties, tele pole, old pallets Those all contain creosote or chemicals. Put some creosoted mulch up next to some nice bushes and you will get to replace them, the stuffs a killer.

Mac

5. mowinmoney

mowinmoney LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Any suggestions on how to find a quality supplier of mulch. I know most of the suppliers near us use chopped up pallets that are colored. Lots bad but a lot of the retail suppliers are selling this and what looks to be wood chips. My customers want real mulch. The wood chips and pallet mulch seem to last forever and fade. Looks horrible.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.justuskids.com/landscape.htm

This supplier is about 20 miles from where I work. They have high quality mulches in different colors . Available in bags or bulk. I don't know about getting it to Ft. Wayne though.