1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quality of Toro Proline?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CK82, Jan 28, 2006.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Anyone using the newer model Toro Proline (hydro drive), please give me some info on their quality and such. I currently run a Toro Z master and have been fairly pleased with its performance and would like to purchase a few more. I know their less expensive than scag, but I feel Toro is a quality mower and brand. Thanks for the help, Chris
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use the gear drives, toro is all I use, it's all I buy.

I bough a new one last year, the 30165 48" fixed deck 15hp Kohler 5-speed transmission.
    Overall, excellent machine: scary fast, powerful, and a lot of fun.
    I had no real problems with it, nothing major broke, not even a 50-dollar wheel belt.

For a new machine, there are a few stupid parts will break in the first year cost you around 20-30 dollars, it pays to know which parts these are so you can buy spares:
    - The little rubber grommets on either side of the T-bar where the dunno-what-is-called that long bar hooks into. Get about a dozen of those, they like to wear out at all times. I hear say the T-bar with a hydro gives an odd feel, the standard hydro is pistol grip (maybe ecs).
    - The stupid plastic deck hold-down nuts: Go to Home Depot / Lowe's and get a half dozen washers and wing nuts, they're almost literally a dime a dozen and thus a far better deal than replacing the 3-dollar plastic ones.
    - Definitely get yourself a spare transmission belt from Napa: I think it's 40L-400w or maybe it's 400L-40w, either way it's the 40-inch ag. trans belt. Costs 12 dollars at Napa vs. 20 from the dealer.
    - Get 3-4 of those foam pre-cleaners for the air filter, a half dozen doesn't hurt.

The blade belt costs 80 dollars, make sure you check the adjustment on this regularly. Also, I go over the entire machine before I even take it out on its maiden cut, I feel doing this helps prevent warranty repairs - I found several things I thought could've been adjusted better, but I guess that's just the way things are... I like my machines a certain way, the dealer has his preferences as well.

Other than that, a great machine for 3 grand. Soon as I can afford it, I'm buying another 30165, my oldest one just turned 8, heh.
  3. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

CK82, I bought a new proline in June of 05 and have been fairly pleased with its performance. It is a 48" 17HP Kawasaki hydro with electric start. The good things to mention is that the deck which floats cuts extremely well and does not tend to build up as bad as my other machine which is a 48" Exmark Turf Tracer. I also like the fact that it backs up rather quickly and seems to be very fuel efficient. On the down side the battery went bad after the first two months which was covered under warranty and for some reason it does not pull a hill as good as my Exmark. This may be due to smaller wheel motors or a smaller pump. The most aggrevating thing however is sometimes while using the mower the locks on each handle will sometimes fall into the locked position. This usually occurrs when you squeeze one of the handles backwards when making a turn and as you let off of the handle to straighten up you will find that the handle is now in a locked or neutral position. When this happens you have to reach up with your thumb and unlock it before moving on. It may just need to be tightened more or it may be an operator thing. Overall I like the mower and would consider buying another one if I had the need. Hope this helps.
  4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 2000 36" Proline. It's gear driven but with the T bar it doesn't matter. The mower has done 50 lawns a week for 6 years pulling a sulky and it still works great. I did have to change out the transmission last August but after 8,ooo lawns that's not that big of a deal, I change out the belt to the trans. and the blade belt every year and just had to replace the wheel drive belts and rear tires for the first time last year. Even with that and oil changes I'm at less than 50 cents per lawn in initial cost and maintenance and I love using the machine, I let neighbors borrow it all the time after 10 minutes they've mastered the T-bar, even with the sulky. I would buy another with out any hesitation.
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

no experience with the new ones... BUY we have an 11 year old pro line belt drive that it still reliable as a rock.... we are very meticulus about maintenance though...

also we have a toro hydro pro line that is 9 years old and had a motor replaced...
    but every thing else is good..
  6. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Would you guys recommend the T bar or the Pistol grip, I have used pistol grips and like them alot?

LawnPro, I see that you have a toro dingo listed on your equipment list, they look like they work awesome, how much do they run, I know attachments are extra, but in general how much? Also what do you guys use the dingo for, that a bobcat would not do? I really like them might need to add one to my list. Chris
  7. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

*YardPro*, sorry not LawnPro
  8. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Any comments Toro guys?
  9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I have owned several prolines in the past and they were good mowers. I prefer the tbar to pistol grips. I believe Toro is redoing their hydro walk mowers to use the Turbo Force deck and are updating the tbar controls. If you want a Toro hydro I would wait until the newer models come out, probably next year.

10. CLC03

CLC03 LawnSite Member

I am looking at getting a Toro 44" Proline. Should I get the Classic T-Bar or the Pistol Grip? Thoughts?