1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by boonehockey, Sep 30, 2010.

1. boonehockey

boonehockey LawnSite Member

What are some things that seperate low ball crews and companies that really care about quality. A few, I think, are grass in the cracks and beds.,What are some that come to mind from your expierence.
  2. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

A few that come to mind are a nice clean edge on sidewalks and drives. Made with an edger not a string trimmer turned upside down.

Not leaving any clumps or long strings of unmulched grass on turf after mowing.

Cleaning up after fertilizing. Not leaving tons of fert on sidewalks and drives like some large company's I know.

3. boonehockey

Yes, I do all those. From working with big companies I notice a lack of employee image like smoking all the time and lots of cussing.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Things that I believe separate you from the rest is making sure there are no weeds in cracks, flowerbeds are kept clean and weed free, hedges are trimmed as needed, turf never has any clippings laying on top and is bagged when needed, and the biggest is communication. Talk with your customers about their properties needs and stay on top of things.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Couldn't agree more. I only do fert. for very very select few customers. But when I do I blow the sidewalks off too, Trugreen really irritates me, they do alot of my lawns and when the do granular they make a mess all over.
  6. boonehockey

So it's a lot of simple, easy to do things that most companies just are to lazy to do.
  7. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Basically yes, one thing I like to do is just stand around and BS with the customer. Some customers just pay you the money and go on their way, others like to stand around and talk to you for a while. I believe that when you humor them and carry on a conversation for a few minutes, it shows them you respect them and things like that can really go a long ways.
  8. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Premier, I am not saying you are wrong just curious as to why this you think is better. I think its the person using the trimmer that matters. I've see the edges of careless guys and they are 2" wide:dizzy: I use the edger when needed but keep a tight egde with a trimmer. I also have not found one guy who can do it like me, but when does any worker do what you do! My customers, and even thier picky neighbors, give me compliments on their edges (trust me they're picky!) and I don't regularly use an edger. Again areas of the country may differ in what exactly the needs are. It's just using a different tool to do the job right? As long as it is done right and looks good what difference does the tool make. I do believe that you NEED to use an edger to open the edge up.

Oh and for those of you waiting to jump on someone and say "See you're a lowball, etc...." grow up. I pride myself on quality work just like the rest.
  9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I think even large LCO's have a problem keeping workers attitudes at a professional level. You put a couple of kids a mower, they're gonna mow like couple kids on a mower.
  10. boonehockey

Well me be only 18 years old, I take a great deal of pride into my work because, I know good work sells itself, so Im looking to raise the bar around my neigbrohood.