1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

quantity for part time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by macmackgrass, Apr 17, 2003.

1. macmackgrass

macmackgrass LawnSite Member

I have just landed my first commercial account which I am very proud of. They are suggesting that I can do their other 5 properties in the area as well. They were very impressed with my presentation and my business manner. Now it comes down to the quality I can show them on the first property.

This is my first season and was looking at doing this part time until I could established enough to quit my full time job of 26 years, which I am miserable at being there. I have not seen the other properties, and I am looking forward at bidding for them, but in the back of my mind, I want to make sure that I am not getting in over my head since it is just 2 of us for now, and my son when he is on break from college. I can find help easily enough but was hoping to hold off another year.

Please let me know what the best approach would be.

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

all i can tell you is get it while the gettin is good !!
  3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a full time job, why would you want to bid on commercial accounts in your first season as a part time LCO?

If it rains for a week straight, are you going to be able to catch up if you take on these other 5 working full time?

Are you cutting any residentials?

Are you insured? Is your help insured? Are you licensed?

Just some things to think about.. :)
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

mac, whatever you do, do not put the cart before the horse. my experience: i have a full time job, run the business also. i took on as much work as i could get, and it was very counterproductive. quality was never an issue, but reliability was. juggling two jobs made it hard to be reliable, and as a result my lawns were being skipped alot, when i would show up, the grass was very high, and a 20 minute cut turned out to be 1.5 hrs, etc. as a result, after 8 yrs, im still trying to build. i lost about 5 people on one block, before i even started. they were all interested in service, but one of them knew a customer we had a few years back, this customer told him how terribly unreliable we were, and that was the end of that. the last 2 years are lookin great, but its hard to erase a bad rep. just take on what u can handle
  5. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby thats a great Post!..................Almost EVERYONE on this site should print it and hang it to the bathroom mirror, put it in their truck and on the celling above their bed. That is superior advice. I pick up 2 or 3 lawns a month due to the last guy not showing up, halfazzing it or not wearing a shirt while cutting the lawn. Again very well put Bobby!
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Very honest of ya bobby! Glad you're turing it around.
  7. macmackgrass

macmackgrass LawnSite Member

I only bid on this apartment complex because it was an easy cut since they were still under construction. I am just in the maintenance part of lawn care and just do the basics. I have an old friend that has a large LCO in the area that is doing mostly the landscaping part of it. I will always have a reliable source to help out with timing as well as referals.

He basically give me the smaller contract to help me build my reputation since I plan on going full time next season. I sub out the bigger contracts that I am not equiped for yet. It works out for both of us very well. Also, he usually does the longer run contracts, since they seem to be the higher paying ones on one side of town, while I do the other since we live on two different sides.

All insurance and paper and legals are in place and the help is available, but as said, I do not want to go over board. I will probably let my friend know about the other properties and sub it out to him, who does this full time.

sorry so long, but hopefully this will help. I had some time to think about it and talk to my friend, I hope it all goes well since we are still in the process of writting up an agreement between the two of us.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would hate for you to miss out on the other properties but I would have to concur. Just go with what you have and see how it goes. Once you are certain you can handle what you have THEN go and get some additional accounts.