Queen Palm tree growth

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by suzookryder, Aug 7, 2007.

1. suzookryder

suzookryder LawnSite Member

the center growth on this queen palm tree (new palm fans) are not growing straight. I have tried to straighting it out but it will not move. Any suggestions? The tree is about 12 feet tall.

2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Are the fronds growing out crooked or is the trunk crooked ? A picture might explain it better.

3. suzookryder

suzookryder LawnSite Member

I planted the tree about 3-4 years ago. The trunk is fine, it is straight. The fronds are grwoing out crooked.

4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I am not experienced with queen palms because they won't winter here , but I assume that it produces fronds one at a time as opposed to a 'throw' , or multiple fronds at one time . Unless there is a significant sunlight deficiency that would cause the plant to grow toward light , the crown of all palms should produce fronds vertical to the ground - the only exception that I have seen is a sick or diseased plant where the crown is rotting or dying. I realize that is not much help , but I think the plant has a problem that needs the attention of an expert - there are a lot a good palm websites , some of them out of your state . I like plantapalm.com , which is a Florida site - lots of helpful stuff strictly focused on palms and cycads.