Question 3: Parking Lot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Mar 14, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

This is Question Three of the day (and hopefully the last).

I talked to a guy today who has an industrial property that is mostly gravel with a little turf. He wants me to mow the turf (no problem) and keep the gravel lot weed-free. I'm a couple days away from being licensed 3b in Indiana, but I'm thinking that a parking lot (essentially that's what it is) falls under Category 6, Right of Way.

Am I right?

2. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

You are correct, a Parking lot would be Right of way 6.

MIke

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, if it falls in the county, state, or utility R.O.W.

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

that could be looked at in 2 different ways.. i've seen some houses' that had a lawn that looked like a parking lot and was used as one.. lol

i have the category 6 book in front of me and it doesn't realy difine the right-of-way.. call the chemist @ 1-765-494-1594 and ask! don't take anybodys advice on this! remember it's your a** now that your a 3b.

5. eruuska

Yeah, I'm calling them tomorrow. I went ahead and ordered the study materials for Cat 6, as well as 3a, and I'll just take the test for them. I wouldn't imagine 6 would be terribly difficult, and Fred Whitford himself told me that I could pass the 3a test without taking the class. If I studied.

6. teeca

i have the 3a book, it looks pretty tuff, but then again i'm not a tree person by any means, the cat 6 has a ton of math questions, calibration of all sorts, measuring aeras, and goes in depth on plant/chemical relationships, but explains them very well, so i would image that it will be a fairly easy test.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, I never even thought about that... I was spraying soil sterilent on a couple large outdoor storage yards for a local space museum. It was not a lawn at all, but I don't know if it would have been classified as a parking lot either... Never thought it was a bad deal, never got caught or questioned about it, I'm not too worried... I can't imigine them being that particular about such things.

8. teeca

like they say... it's all fun and games until an eye gets poked out...

kill something that your not suposed to, and its done.. the kicker is, it will most likly be something like the property down the road or next door. and i'm sure the insurance company and the state will be thrilled to find out that you were not even licened to do the application(s). chaaaa chinggggg on you!

9. eruuska

Yeah, I've heard 3a is pretty tough, but I think I can do it. Math is no problem for me. I forgot my calculator when I took the 3b test and I still got them all correct. :D

And besides, it can never hurt to add a new category to the license.

10. teeca

after reading thru the 3b, then reading thru the 3a, i couldn't beleave all the law, WPS, etc that was left out of the 3b. alot of good info on covering your a** in the 3a. it will be on my to get license.. i am going to take the 3b in 2 weeks, when i get paid, then its going to be 7a, then 3a, and then 6, unless my employer will actualy pay for some.