question about $1 a minute

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turftammer, Jul 11, 2004.

1. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

I have one 2 man crew that 95% of the time I get the $1 a minute but the other crew which is me solo it is hard to averege the $1 a minute especially when customers want to talk or when answering phone calls(which isn't a big problem because most customers have office # only) but my question is what do most of you base the $1 a minute as far as pricing on a 2 man or 1man crew

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I charge $60/hour per man, so if two men, $120.00/hour. That is for lawns. For landscaping, hedge trimming, etc. I get $45.00/man hour.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i just don't see how this is possible. elephant, if you have two men, that punch in at 8 am, and punch out at 4 pm, this two man crew grossed you $960 in that 8 hrs? if yes, how much of that is net? even if you're running as low as 50% profit, that's net $480 a day, in 8 hrs. if i could do this cutting grass, i'd work 4 days a week and not even do the extras.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Sooo at $1 per minute ..... per worker .... thats $480 per day .... $2400 per week ... $120,000 per year .... than a 5 man crew made $600,000 gross last year ??

5. ElephantNest

from La.

Simple. If a yard takes ME an hour, it's a $60.00 yard. That's one big yard if it takes me an hour. When I have help, theoretically, it should take me a half hour or less, that's still $60.00 per man hour. Gotta take into account travel time, slow helpers, down time, restringing, extras, etc.

Oh, and if they don't want to pay that, I find someone who does. I don't have a ton of yards, but 85% of them are very high payers. Example: just this past week, two of the new accounts I picked up were as follows.

1) They WERE paying $35.00 every two weeks, I got them up to $50.00 per cut every ten days.

2) They WERE paying $40.00 every ten days, I got them up to $65.00 per cut every WEEK!

My GF said: "........do you confuse them?" lol

I ask them why I am there, it's obviously because they aren't happy with their current LCO. I am firm with my pricing, if they do not like it, I simply move on. One day, I will have tons of high paying customers.

6. Fantasy Lawns

I wish it was that simple for me .... last year I had just over 9000 man hours n my gross was Nooo way near $550k

7. ElephantNest

from La.

If you can't make $400.00 per day SOLO, you're too slow or too low.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you are talking working minutes, not including traveling time?

9. Fantasy Lawns

even when i was Solo I never made over $120k per year

I'm not here to bicker over or even get into an arguement over the $1 per minute "rule"

Fact is I doubt ANY solo on this board made OVER $100,000 in a good year .... if they did it alone my hat is off to em

Now I do know on certain jobs ... Yes I'm making sometime Over $1 per minute .... even with travel time ... my route is less than 10 miles in diameter ..... I'd rather see people understand their hourly operating cost n add on a fair profit .... if this is $60 per hour or $35 per hour ... what ever it take to make $$

10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

So much of the $1/min thing is tied to equipment. Of course the faster the mowers, the faster the job gets done. But too you have to consider the big picture, and that inculdes how the equipment is stored on the trailer, accessability of hand held tools, etc.

The bottom line is the more efficient your operation can be made, the more work you can get done. Here's a way we move faster: I pre-wind trimmer spools at home and carry 6-8 ready-to-go each day. We simply pop the empty spool out and pop the full spool in, so there is very little down time on the job.

Trimmer technique is also a time issue. Syncronizing the trimmer and the mower to finish at the same time on jobs will increase speed. Well I'm sure these are all things that everyone is already doing so I won't go on.

For me, with two men working, I have to average $60 - $80 per hour for the time they are on each job, because labor cost is my largest expense.