Question about 1500's

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by JohnnyZ71, Jan 2, 2001.

1. JohnnyZ71

JohnnyZ71 LawnSite Member

I have a 2000 Z71 I am plowing with, I have a brand new 7.5 Fisher. Are the 3/4 tons really that much better to plow with than a 1/2 ton? My friends have F-350's, and Dodge 3/4, I help them out with some big parking lots, I plow just as much snow as they do with no problems. I mainly do resendential plowing though, only help them when their "new awesome Fords" break down, then they have to have the mighty Chevy come to the rescue. Thanks in advance to the replies.
  2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to Lawnsite....

1/2 tons are small for doing commercial lots regularly. There is much more wear and tear on the truck at that size. For residentials.... 1/2 ton is fine.

And.... Fords do quite well, thank you, if they are treated with respect..... But, that's for another forum on Lawnsite.
  3. matthew Urban

matthew Urban LawnSite Member

John's right on the money.

Just take it easy with the lighter trucks.

(92 F150, Fisher 7.5)
  4. PAPlow

PAPlow LawnSite Member

I plowed with a Chevy 1500 originally during my first year in the business. I added a transmission cooler and oil cooler to the truck to help. Torqued up the front also to aid with weight of the plow.

You should be fine otherwise...Like the others said thought...take it easy! I wouldn't go try taking on a large commercial lot yourself.

5. capital

capital LawnSite Member

The front end on your 1500 will not take the wear and tear like a 2500 or 3500. Also your rear end probably isnt geared for pushing snow. Plus a z71 can handle a blade but the truck was never setup for heavy duty work. You will start to notice that your joints on the 1500 begin to wear and tear if you push a lot of snow.
  6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Wear and tear will increase with a lighter-duty truck.

As far as amount of snow pushed, 1/2, 3/4 1ton, even a F550 is immaterial. Tires, weight, gears & plows affect plowing ability, GVWR has little to do with it.
  7. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Okay... here's the best way to keep your 1/2-ton alive.

1. Change the trans fluid OFTEN!!!

2. Make sure you have a trans cooler.

3. Grease all of the front joints (steering, and front driveshaft) OFTEN.

4. Make sure you come to a complete stop before changing gears.

5. (This is just a recommendation) If you don't have a spreader, put about 300-400 pounds as far back in the bed towards the tailgate as possible. This will help offset the weight of the plow.

I plow with a '96 Extended Cab Z71. So far so good... except for my CD player. I got a B&M 19,000 GVWR trans cooler, Air Lift air bags on the rear axle, and I tweaked my torsion bars up a little in the front. Although, I have a Steel 7.5' SnoWay which probably weighs about 100-150 lbs. less than your Fisher.

8. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

This was something I was thinking about,I blow about 95% residential jobs,and I just need somthing that could take on driveways.A snoway 7-8 foot plow would most likely be a good choice for this right?????
  9. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, definately. I do a few residential driveways, a townhouse complex, and then one large commercial lot. I opted for the 25-series steel blade from SnoWay cause it was lighter, yet strong enough for commercial use. I gotta tell ya, it's doing a VERY good job.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I used to plow with 1500 trucks exclusively,I probably still would if the front ends were a little stronger,and they could hold a V-box.The weakest link in your truck as far as pushing is the rear end and U-joints,if your abusive,expect to blow them both out,not now but a few yrs down the road.I have seen the carriers on the 1500's 8.5" rear end split right in 2,from abusive plowing and ,the G80 locking differential is nice,but much mre suseptable to spliting in 1/2.I used to have a 92 GMC Z71, I sold it yrs ago,but my friend bought it,and it finally blew the pinion gear out thsi last storm.It is 8 yrs old and had 5 yrs of plowing on it.