Question about 2 stroke - Chainsaw won't run anymore

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Remsen1, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was cutting up a tree yesterday and my saw (poulan 335) ran great throught the first tank of gas. Re-fueled and resumed cutting saw suddenly dies in the middle of a cut, like i hit the kill switch. I start it again, same thing again, and again, and again. Let it cool down, start it runs great for about 15 seconds, as soon as it get warm it dies again. I think I may have damaged the piston, spark plug was a medium light gray color. I inspected the piston through exhaust port and through the intake and I don't see any thing obvious, but I can't see the whole piston. I also inspected the cylinder wall the same way ( can see the whole cylinder wall). There seems to be a shiney line on the cyliner wall just above the intake port, rubbed on this line a little and there is no groove or gouge and there isn't a corresponding mark on the piston. Is there a definitive way that I can test to see if piston/cylinder damage is my problem? Could it be the ring? Is it fixable, how much would a shop normally charge for a piston, ring, and boring if necessary? I'm trying to see if it would be worth it or get a new saw. I think this saw only goes for like around $250.

I'm doing a compression test tonight, but I'm not sure what the compression should be and I thought I heard somewhere that the engine should be warm first, and the saw dies before reaching operating temp.

Any advice?

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

A poulan IS NOT worth fixing, jsut buy a Stihl and forget poulans even exist. Stihl MS260s will SMOKE a 335 anyday. to check for cylinder/piston damage, you dont look through the intake port, you check by pulling the muffler and looking at the piston, and a compression test consists basically of holding the saw by the starter cord, and nothing else, if it falls rapidly, you need a ring, if it holds up, you're fine.

3. Remsen1

Thanks for the help. I know a Stihl or a Husky will smoke this saw, but if it can be fixed cheaply and still be used I'd like to try that route. I know it's not a commercial unit, but I only use it 2-3 times per year so I'm not ready to throw it away and buy another one unless the repair bill will be close to the cost of a new one.

Holding the cord the saw will not fall. What are the chances that I don't have piston/cylinder issues.

4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a carburetor problem to me. It is either gummed up or misadjusted. Try spraying it with carb cleaner a couple times. If that doesn't work, take it to a good small engine shop and see if a clean and adjust doesn't solve the problem. Then put Stabil in your gas or use Stihl or Husky 2-cycle oil with stabilizer in it from now on.

5. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

yes I would have to agree with jeff ^ up there .. sounds to me if the carb is plugged up .. it is getting just enough gas to start.. should be a simple fix .. and I would agree with you as well on the fact that you only use it a few times a year no sense in gettin a new one if you can fix it .. lol I got a poulan weed eater for my yard and from my experience with poulans I just keep pullin and pullin and pullin ... and the darn thing never wants to start .. shouldn't cost you much to fix maybe 20 bucks if you can't fix it your self .. c

6. Remsen1

You guys were right. I took the carb off again and cleaned it up. I also noticed that there is a little hose that looks like a breather, it was just dangling. I found a nipple with a little hole in it near where the breather was danling, so I attached the hose to that. I made a small adjustment on the idle, which gave me a point where i could work from and each time i turned the screw in a little, it got better and better. Then after I got the idle right I adjusted the high speed a 1/2 turn at a time until it got better. Now she runs fine. Also the plug is running at a medium/dark brown now (little rich) instead of a medium light gray (little lean) which I prefer being a little rich. Thanks for your help, now I can finish cleaning up this tree.