Question about a bid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CNE, Apr 11, 2004.

1. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I had a customer call me the other day wanting a bid on maint. and spraying her nice stand of weeds. She has 1/2 acre lot with the rear chain link fence. There is a drive through gate though. What kind of price is reasonable. Before you ask, I have already taken my Pesticide Applicator exam and know I passed, just waiting on the results so I can get my license. I will have it before I do this job. Do most of you charge by the sq. ft? or 1,000 sq ft.? There is a lot of henbit, clover, etc., etc., etc. I told her it was going to look rough for a while if we sprayed it cause most of the yard is weeds. She was going to get 2 more estimates and make a decision. I am curious what you would charge.

2. SherrillsfordLS

SherrillsfordLS LawnSite Member

If the yard is 50% weeds, I would blanket app the lawn with three-way herbicide from Lesco. Lawn 20m sq.ft. you will have $10.00 to $15.00 in material cost. I charge $25.00 stop fee and $30.00 labor fee. This would total between $65.00 to $70.00 charge.

3. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

By blanket I assume you mean do the whole yard. That is what I was planning to do anyway. I have some SpeedZone which was recommended by a local supplier who has been in the turf business for many years. It is safe on Centipede which is what most of the grass is. Main ingredient is 24-D though. Dang, I quoted her $100 and was worried I'd be low. I charged more because of the number of obstacles in the yard to get around (trees not in beds, outbuilding, entire rear is chain link, etc.) I'm really in no hurry to start doing this klind of work to be honest. I am only part time and have no help. Oh well, if she calls, she calls. Thanks.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't NC have the same type of laws, that state that you must have two years experience with a licensed company before you can aquire a license? Just curious.

5. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

Nope. You have to take an exam to become certified, pay $50 for the license and $50 annually to renew. Certification expires every 5 years then you have to recert. You also have to aquire 10 training credits in the 5 year period. They offer a classroom training course prior to taking the exam which is what I did. So $45 for the class and books, $50 for the license.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

$69 here.... 43000/2*.003 square foot plus sales tax.

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

$90 @ $4.50/M...depending on whether I'm coming back or mowing the property it could be less or more.