Question about a checking account...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jon99, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year mowing, I set up a checking account at the local bank under the business name...Is there something special I need to do so I can cash checks made out to the business???

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you need a DBA to set up your business checking to accept checks

3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

You cannot "cash" a check made out to the business. It must be deposited into a business account, then withdrawn on.

4. Here we file a trade name affidavit, $6 per year- same as dba. Only checks I ever cash is the ones that bounce 2X- and those go to the writers bank, never any trouble if the money was there.
    I don't think I ever have tried to cash a check made out to my business-just deposit them all.

5. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everyone... I guess when I say cash, I actually mean deposit .. The account is set up as a DBA, but will contact the bank to verify...

6. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Jon99:

I, too went to the courthouse and filed for a DBA. When I recieved it back in the mail, I went and opened up my account. They had to have the DBA in order to open the account. My DBA is setup as a general partnership with my wife as the partner. Even though Texas is a community property state, I had to do this in order for my wife to have access to this account.