Question about advertising - post card mailers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bwilder10h, Mar 6, 2008.

1. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

I have been mowing on the side for 4 years. I worked full time and did a few accounts here or there but I lost my full time gig last August and the IT world is ugly right now. I'm considering trying to ramp up the lawn care thing and just go at it full force (not too many other options at this point anyway :rolleyes: )

The past two years I ran a small ad in the yellow pages that cost me $1000 a year but got me very little business. There is now a company in this area that sends out a packet of nice glossy postcard advertisements for local businesses and mails them to 50,000 homes in the areas I target, in a certain income level and above, to the tune of $2500 ;) Not a bad deal if you consider what postage would cost if I did it myself but given my income has been nil, I'm reluctant to drop that kind of coin but if it brought in the business... it would obviously be worth it.

Any of you done this kind of thing in the past? I'd love to hear what kind of success you had with it.

Would my advertising dollars be better spent elsewhere?
  2. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I would totally go for it bro. No loss, no gain.

Be like the big boys, and step up.
  3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems almost to good to be true.. Check references from the company...
  4. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Seriously if you can send out 50,000 post cards for $2,500 i would do it 3x over for that price. That dont even sound right,you might want to check into that again.Is this one add in a paper that goes to 50,000 house's if so that would make more sense because the post cards aint happening!
  5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I was thinking... I can't get 50,000 printed for $2,500 let alone getting them labeled and mailed too...
  6. mowranger

mowranger LawnSite Member
    from ms

We have thought about val pak other packets that come in the mail that have 50 different products and services in them, we choose to stick with door hangers I can control where I get business and how much business I get. Question 1, rule of thumb is .05 to 1% response rate on advertising thats 250-500 customers can you handle them?
  7. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

Yeah, I checked with them and it's a legit deal. I get the packet at my house so I know the quality work they do. I dont have a problem spending the money if I know I'm going to get a return on it.

More or less wanted to check with those that have done something like this in the past to see what the response was. is the website for the place that does these cards.
  8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking. All these guys on here must be huge companies. If you happened to get a 1-2% response rate you might be fielding 1000 calls.
  9. mowranger

mowranger LawnSite Member
    from ms

Thats is right on the money! We have put out about 85000 door hangers so far and have 2 people handling the phone, 30 to 60 calls per day plus email for the last 4 weeks and it wont pick up until the end of march. Bottom line if you can not handle the business there is no need to even think about that kind of mass advertisement! I do not know you may be set on go with 3 crews and the equipment to get it done! If not your just wasting ad money!
  10. AllHardscaping

AllHardscaping LawnSite Member

I receive the rsvp postcards. They are really professional looking but come with like 50 cards in the packet so you won't get the same return as a direct mail postcard you do. The price is a lot better though. There are usually 3-4 high end landscape companies in the packet. They push you to do the whole year, 5 mailings. I priced them but I need more of a better targeted plan due to my service offerings, kinda niche. They gave me a price that was lower for the first mailing since I would be a first time customer and throw in the free design. Yeah, they charge for the design but it will look good. They seeme dpretty hardcore sales types so you have to negotiate a bit. Good luck!