question about advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jarroo's lawncare, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

How effective is direct mail advertising for you guys.

2. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

Expenisive is the only word. Unless you're in some VERY high end neighborhoods, where soliciting is ABSOLUTELY out of the quesiton, I would stay away from the mail.

Hire a couple high school kids and have them put out flyers for $7/hr. If you're mailing 5000 pieces of mail:

Stamp: 37 cents
    printing 13 cents

= $2500 cost.

or

5 guys @ $7 = $35/hr
    2 days = $35 x 16 hrs = $560

Printing = $400?

= $960. Obviously I'm estimating the time req'd to put out flyes, and the cost of printing....but even if I'm WAY OFF, It'll still be cheaper. And, it won't hurt so bad knowing that 99% of your flyers got tossed in the trash!!

If you're targeting high end accounts or businesses....direct mail is probably fine.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yes more Expensive, but WORTH it if you do it yourself and do it right and I quarantee you that mailers get more attention than flyers, simply because so many home owners resent flyer left on their mailbox (illegally) or mailbox post. I have had people call me a year later on a postcard but never had that happen on a flyer. As a matter of fact one of the new accts I signed last week was from a mailer I sent them in May, 2004. This is my opinion, but I believe personally (esp as a home owner myself) that Home owners will also see a business that took the time, effort and expense to compose and mail a professional postcard to them vs. a flyer stuck on the mailbox/post/driveway/door as more professional I believe.

I have used nothing but mail for the past few years and I get a much better return than the 1/5-1% I see the majority of guys posting they get. Last year was esp good at we landed (not calls, but work) 8% off of the mailers we sent in May.

Also the prices listed above are too high as you do not use want letters beacuse of not only the extra mailing/printing expense, but also because postcard are more likely to be read in their entirety. You only need to use postcards well done on the computer and printed in 1 color. I promise you multi-color vs. 1 color makes little to no difference in landing new clients in the long run.

Postage .23
    Printing .04

Cost on 5,000 this way = $1350.00

so vs. the $960 cost quoted above it really isn't a huge difference either

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Direct mailings can be very succesful, but they are more costly and time consuming than flyers/door hangers. Each year I hand select a few places to send a direct mailing to, and they usually work out quite well.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi jarroo's lawncare,

Many times we will see posted on here a response rate of 1%-2% for mailings.