1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question About an OCDC

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, May 27, 2007.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I made an OCDC for my Lazer hp, and it keeps clippings out of areas I don't want them in. However, when I open the door, I get a huge clump of grass that spits out. My question is, if I buy a $200 store-bought OCDC will I get the huge clump spitting out?
  2. precisongreen32

precisongreen32 LawnSite Member

yes u will just go back and hit the clumps with a blower
  3. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

The rule is: If you make a mod yourself, you have to post pics for all to see! We all benefit from eachother, right? :clapping:
  4. statman

It is pretty crude... I welded a piece of steel plate inside the deflector chute that came with the mower. I drilled a hole in the chute and attached a bungy cord to it.
  5. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Did you just cut the rest of the deflector off and keep the swivel/hinge?
  6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

If you had used expanded metal like 3/4" it would have saved some of the clumps.
  7. statman

I left the whole deflector intact, but am going to trim it back.

Thanks for the ex-met idea. I tried drilling 1/4" holes, but they plugged up. I will make them bigger and add some.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you will always get the clump of grass. Just disperse it out tward the open, and when you go over it with the deck, it's gone. I often go into tight areas, close the chute (first), back out and release. This collects the grass and brings it out to the open area....works well. Sometimes, I have to dip in twice, as it will only hold so much before it starts blowing out the front and side.