Question about Anit-Scalp Rollers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LightningLawns, Jul 18, 2005.

1. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Should the roller be even with the bottom of the deck, above the bottom or below the bottom? what do you guys think?

2. Fresh Cut

Fresh Cut LawnSite Member

For me, below the bottom. I think my manual says to set them so they sit about 5/8" above the ground when the deck is at the height you are cutting. I usually cut at 3 1/2"-4", so that leaves them bellow the deck.

3. LightningLawns

what about if they are in the front of the mower should they be below the deck? Do you all think it would cause cutting problems?

4. LightningLawns

do you even need the anti scalp wheels on the front?

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

YES!!!!! But below where you need them, you will have to lift the deck if you are turning on to a lawn from the side walk.
    John

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

On my Z, I mow at 3 inch height most of the time. I have my wheels set so the wheels make contact with the ground at 2 inch cut height. That way I dont scalp the lawn on most areas.

7. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... I agree, the wheel setting should be about 3/4" off the ground at YOUR set high. If you have your wheels set too high the grass will appear sliced on the ends of the deck and you will scalp high spots leaving blade impressions :).