Question about ATZ

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rmorgan, Jun 10, 2004.

1. rmorgan

rmorgan LawnSite Member

I'm seriously considering an ATZ, although it would be for use at home only I mow about 4 acres including three major hills and several slopes so the machine seems perfect and will hold its value well, except I'm wondering how significantly the ROPS interferes with getting close to trees and hoped that a current user might comment. Thanks!!

2. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

How steep are the hills? They would have to be really steep to justify that purchase. My yard is hilly and I purchased the full size Z. Except for the wheels breaking loose in the wet grass (this happens on most Z's that I have read about) I have no problems. I feel 10x better on hills with this Z than I did on my Gravely 8122 riding tractor with a 50" deck.

To be honest with you, it is tough getting under trees without a roll bar on the mid-mount mower. With the roll bar its gotta be a nightmare. If trees are your primary concern you should consider a front mount design.

I would demo a full size Z. Taking one for a ride on your property for several hours will give you an idea as to whether you need the ATZ. If your hills are that steep I would reccomend going with the Super Z with a 27 HP or greater motor. I see a little power loss in the regular Z when I am attacking the hill in semi high grass ( I have the 25 hp Kawasaki, 60" deck). I would also consider bar tires - I think your dealer can install them as an option. From what I understand, you have to give up some torn grass but you get a lot of traction. Good luck!

3. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Not trying to change your mind or anything I just thought I would throw you another option. With all the trees I think a walk-behind might save you a little aggravation. I have about 10 acres on my own place,with a lot of trees and a few slopes fairly rough ground.(I mow from 4-6 acres on my place) I tested a Super Z on my place for about a week and it handled my steepest slope very well! No doubt the ATZ would have done the job as well. The only problems that I encountered was when a branch or rock would be on the ground I would have to get up move the branch and then get back on the mower. Costing me a lot of time. And even with the suspension seat my back would be sore after completing mowing my land. That’s why I decided to by the Super walk-behind 25/54 with a BullRider instead of the Rider. I have saved so much time just walking around and picking up the branch as apposed to having to get up and off the rider then getting back on. And while standing on the BullRider my back or legs wouldn’t hurt after mowing the same place. With the walk-behind you can put the deck under low limbs and fences without taking a beating. After you get used to the H-bar’s on the walk-behind which are the best in the industry (in my opinion.) you can kneel down and have your head under the H-bar keeping you from getting your face slapped by low limbs. This has been my experience and I have saved myself a lot of time with the Super walk-behind over the Super Z on this particular property. But there again it would be nice if you had the funds to buy both machines. Its kind of hard to beat a good rider for leaf collection.

Jeff

4. rmorgan

rmorgan LawnSite Member

JHE, thanks for the response. The slope on the steeper parts of the pond dam is a [measured] 33 degrees, and the other hills are more like 25. Cutting under trees actually is not a huge issue--I currently mow with a tractor which has a ROPS in place, and most of the smaller trees have mulch circles--I just wondered whether the folks already using the ATZ were experiencing a lot of frustration because of the overall machine height and, for that matter their overall level of satisfaction. Anyone?

5. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

If your mowing with a tractor with a Rops now you will not see much difference. the Rops on this is similiar in height and the tractor is simailar in length. A ATZ is is what you want on this kind of slope. Being around a a pnd that will always be damp the atz will give you the best traction for the monry. A standard Z may find it way for a swim. Which can be a little interesting.My vote is a Atz that what this machine was made for. Buy the right machine the first time.

6. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

Try posting this in the commercial forum - you may get a better response!

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have hever used the ATZ but it looks to me that the deck will scalp badly on most lawns. Because of the long distance from the front of the deck to the front tires.

8. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

On the demos that I have taken this unit on I have not seen scalping to be any issue.It runs just like our other super Z.

9. WLLD

WLLD LawnSite Member

I demoed the ATZ lat fall on a property that we mow once a year. We normally use a 4x4 JD tractor with a bush hog and a 4 wheeler with a tow behind self powered bush hog. The property is entirely sloped est 20-30 degrees. The ATZ handled awesome. We left the 4 wheeler home and used the ATZ to mow around the trees and obstacles. The roll cage did get in the way a little - but not enough to complain. We did have to mow some sections 2 or 3 times - because the brush was 3-4 feet tall and would lay down when we went over it. It was not the ideal situation to demo the machine - but it definately does what it was built to do.

Shayne

10. gr8pyrs

gr8pyrs LawnSite Member
    from PA

rmorgan,

I echo J Gordon's comments. Demo a super walkbehind with the Bullrider too.
    It will suprise you.