Question about bagging?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Aug 16, 2003.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure that occassionally you come across customers who want you to bag the clippings.The few times I've bagged my own lawn it's taken AT LEAST twice as long so how in the hell do you charge for it?I'm convinced that it's totally unnecessary if you have a good mulcher on your mower.In fact I've read that the clippings start to decompose immediately and are good for the lawn;supposedly reduces the nitrogen requirements.So is there a 'standard' policy in the business as far as bagging is concerned?How much more do you charge to catch the clippings,put them in bags and haul away?Thanks. Jim

2. Lake Turf

Lake Turf LawnSite Member

I would charge half more that the lawn is worth. Say you mow a Lawn for 35 then if they want it bagged charge around 52.50. The customer doesn't realize that you also have to dump the clippings and ofcourse its more labor intensive.

Good Luck!

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I don't take customers who insist on bagging. Or maybe more accurately, they don't take me. I either discharge or mulch depending on growing conditions and the time of year. I insist on dictating when and how I will mow a lawn.

Not that I never bag. I do bag, but entirely at my discretion and usually only when I don't have a mower setup for mulching (excluding the 21 incher which I can always mulch with). In that case, I sometimes bag medians, areas close to beds where I would otherwise throw clippings into the beds etc. or areas with very heavy/long growth.

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Bagging is all we do. Only a few weeks in the season we don't.

Truth is it would take us twice as long to cut twice.

5. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I bag some places. I also have a Protero grass catcher on the back of my BobCat. It can hold quite a bit. So its really efficient. I also make sure I can dump it on the ground some place near or I don't bag at all. I have a $35 lawn, and I charge $15 more to bag it. I Chang the price for others. Bagging the grass looks awesome, but I hate the labor involved. I take my catcher system off my ZTR after because its too huge, heavy and bulky.

6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

TRY the meg mo blades and you will not need to catch grass again

7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I don't and I won't. Too much time involved. Too many headaches. Would also have to charge dump fee. Not worth it. If they insist I charge them double. Have never had a customer persue it after giving them a quote including bagging.:D

8. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

me too, i don't do bagging. if anyone ask i give them a price of double of what i cut. most of the time there'll call around and find someone who's doesn't know much about the pricing and do it for cheap.

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I'm with Glan, takes a lot less time to fork clippings on the truck than it does to double cut and then try to clean up the mess from the beds and drive and any other places they shouldn't be. We collect 95% of our jobs.

Gene

10. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Glan. We bag about 50% of our lawns. Alot of them are high end residential. You can't beat the look. I think it takes less time to bag than clean out beds. Also with the high growth we have no clumps. As far as dumping the clippings we have 2 acres for our business.(pole barn is in the plans) I presently have a pick-up and it takes about 20 minutes to unload with a pitch fork when the bed is full. And yes we do charge more for disposal. Hope this helps. Matt