Question about bed edging

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Indy Kyle, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

For those of you that use a bed edger, when your putting down spring mulch do you always use an edger or only when the edge isn't defined. I'm thinking if it already has a decent edge then I can just go through with a spade shovel and clean it up a bit. I guess I can just scrape out the trench then fill it in with mulch. Now some places i have been to this spring need a bed edger for sure, the others i'm not so sure about.

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Every spring you should be edging! Just "cleaning it up" in my opinion is a short cut and I dont want to be looked at as doing half-assed work. If nothing else at least run a stick edger through it and even then the edges will look half as nice as a new one if using an actual bed edger.

3. Indy Kyle

Do you just run the bed edger along the same line as it was previously?

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH yeah, unless you want to change the layout.

5. Indy Kyle

I know, that was probably a stupid question. So you use a bed edger every time each spring, no exceptions? Not trying to cut corners, just don't want to rent one if I don't need it. Also how long does it take to edge say... 100ft?

6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Unless you have alot of edging and you dont really maintain it throughout the year, then you dont necessarily need an edger. Take your spade edge or stick edger and clean it up. The first edge is usually what I use the bed edger on. Small enough areas get done by hand with the spade edge.

7. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

You should check out www.trenchblade.com, they have a specialty blade that fits onto most stick edgers that you can use to redefine bed lines. It is a lot more cost effective that buying or renting a bed edger and is faster and looks better that using a shovel. I personally think that those bed edger machines are overkill for bed lines. I don't like my bed lines to be trenched too deep.we like it about 2 inches deep, just enough to tuck your straw into or keep the mulch in the bed. If you make the trench too deep, and your push mower goes into the mulch a little....uggghhh, you just scalped the crap out of your beautiful turf.

8. Indy Kyle

The only problem with that is I don't have a stick edger. We just have a couple walk behinds.

9. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

If your walk behind has a 1" Arbor and the blade depth can be adjusted, it will work on there too.