Question about being a FF/LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dura to the max, May 31, 2008.

1. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

those of you out there that are FF/LCO's, what does it do to your marriage? i know personally that both require a lot of time and energy to be successful, and im just wondering how it plays into a marriage, id rather sacrifice $$$ than family
    and im wanting some feedback on this. i want to provide a good living for my future family, but not at the expense that i never see my wife and kids. anyone have some thoughts on this?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I've had my wife tell me to become a volunteer FF. I can't imagine what that would be like during the season. I'm barely home as it is and the wife isn't getting any sleep because the boy isn't. She's since taken it back.

I'd hate to be in your shoes. What do you do when you get a fire call while your working??

It's hard to find the balance of doing what you love, supporting your families future, and spending enough quality time with them.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

It's like anything else. everyone's situwation is diffrent...

I was a computer engineer for 15 yrs, durring the year 1999 and 2001,
    I was on the road for about 3 yrs stright. made tons of money, and the wife wanted something else. so all that money went to the attornies.

being remarried and in my home town now. life is GREAT. I dont moonlight just a simple LCO. sure I could do other things but I have been down that road b4....

I dont have all the answers for ya, But I really respect you for posting and looking towards the future.
    this is an issue you will have to sit down and have a heart to heart with her about. and I hope the both of you come to a resoulation that yall can live with.

good luck and God bless

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

it sucks sumtimes. just have to schedule things just right. Hopefuly your future wife will understand.

remeber FireFighting is not just a job its passion!

5. Martin Mowing

Martin Mowing LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Well, alot of fulltime FF do a sideline job, so from that angle it is pretty normal. I have been a FF for 8 years and fulltime for 5. I work a 24hr on 48hr off shift like alot of other Firefighters, gives me some time to do other things. I suppose it depends how many accounts you have. I only have around 15 so its not to bad. I am also in Paramedic school so between school, fulltime FF, and mowing I do keep really busy, so far my wife has not complained to much (the money helps:).) When I am done with Paramedic school a year from now I hope to double accounts.

The other huge benefit is that most FF have good benefits and health insurance so mowing can be more profitable. For example if I work at the station monday I can mow tues and wed., again at the station thurs. and can mow fri and sat. Of course this depends on whether or not I am out all night at work.

6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Dura...full time firefighter for 8yrs. LCO..also full time...for 6 yrs. Its a tough schedule. It is not uncommon to work 14 or 15 days straight between the fire station, overtime call back, mowing, maintenancing mowers. Up all night shifts...etc...

Bottom line for me, I have to have the money. Not for boats, bikes, big house, vacations, etc...I have none of the above.

For my family, we were one step ahead of going poor when I got hired on the job. My wife and I were had precious little when we were married, neither of us made much money. We probably couldve got WIC or other welfare, but I wasnt raised to go on the dole.

Long story short, we've accumulated alot of debt from alot of misfortune over the years. Not because of buying stuff....but lots and lots of misfortune.

I gotta have the money, if I didnt, I would come home after that long all night shift and see my family....maybe take a nap. But thats not my life.

If you dont HAVE to have it, dont bother with it.....

7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

1st off, i only run calls when i want too, a big plus when im working. dont get me wrong, i love it, but i dont get paid and cant run all the calls. they have paid guys too so it aint like their is noone. and yes it is a passion my pager wouldnt be on right now if it werent, id be looking forward to a full nights sleep, but it wont happen. i love it, need the benifits, and the 24/48 schedule would allow me to cut lawns which i really enjoy. i need to have the stability though b4 i become engaged to the girl i want to marry, and this looks like a decent route. thanks for all the posts from the guys that have/are been on this road before. keep the answers coming.

8. Martin Mowing

Martin Mowing LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

You know I think you have a point there, seems like a ton of our new guys get married within several months of getting hired.

9. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

I am engaged. I work the 24/48. I have the house, 4 dogs, etc. She is a teacher.

My knock off time regardless is roughly 5 pm. I know if it needs to be done that day, I get a friend to help out.

As far as maintenance. At 4pm at the station is "our" time. We are still on duty, but we can do as we please until the tones drop. So at night before I go to bed I work on equipment, fuel everything up, and tidy things ready for the next time I work.

Relationship time, is every night. We spend alot of time together.

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

These days, most families need two incomes. We've just decided I'd make both of them. My wife stays home and she actually home-schools my two sons, 14 & 7.

I'm full-time with Raleigh. We work 24 hour days but we work 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 4 off. Yes it makes it a little tough during the busiest times of year. But at least now, my oldest son sometimes will help me out and my business pays him just enough so he doesn't have to pay taxes. The family sometimes comes out to bring me lunch and I try real hard for us to have some good quality time in the evenings, plus we do some creative vacationing in the winter. Just this past January, we took the camper to Disneyworld for 12 days. Great memories. :)