Question about bidding on a Municipality contract

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Getting ready to turn in a bid on a mowing contract with a small town municipality for roadside mowing. This contract will also include language and pricing on emergency mowing services on a "as needed basis". In other words, if the town needs to have a property mowed that is in need of mowing, they want a rate for doing such services.

The roadside mowing includes:
    • Removal and disposal of all debris located in roadsides and right-of-way (done before every mowing cycle)
    • Mowing / weed eating all roadsides and right-of-way in town boundaries. There is a minimum of 6 mowing's per season. The roadside mowing properties are all long, narrow stretches of land from roadside to center of ditch line. There are roughly 23 miles to be maintained.
    • Scope of service agreement should also include emergency services rates. Example of emergency services would be mowing a given number of vacant lots. Emergency service rates should be given in per lot increments.

I need to come up with a monthly (cycle) dollar amount, and then multiply that times 18, which will cover the 3 year contract of 6 mowing's per season.

I have inside numbers as to what this paid last year on a mowing cycle basis .. in other words about what each billing was each month. The emergency mowing was not part of the mowing last year, and is to be listed separately then the roadside mowing as it is on a "as-needed" basis. This amount will be above and beyond the amount of the roadside mowing contract. There was no contract per say as far as set price. This year they are wanting to sign a 3 year contract for the above listed services. Fuel and wages must be taken into consideration because of the length of the contract.

Anyones help would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. Prestige-Lawncare

Anyone with tips and or suggestions?

Being my first 'large' commercial account, I want to make sure I am submitting a good proposal, yet not cutting myself short.

Last years 'cycle' or monthly billing was in the $4500. to $5500. range. The lower billings were at times when edging was not needed, or a couple of the properties did not need mowing. Due to the extremely dry season we had last year, mowing was not always needed in every area. Since there was not a "contract" per say, the outfit who did the work last year adjusted their billing accordingly.

Obviously, with a contract this year, and hopefully a better growing season, things will be different. With that said though, with a contract in place, the billing will be the same each month regardless. The only adjustments will be in the "emergency mowing's" they are requesting, which will only raise the bottom line.

Last years company used a crew of 6 most times, and I plan on using a crew of 4, but a little more time involved for the crew. There will be 2 mowers, 2 trimmers, and the litter pick-up will be shared by all involved.

Ideas ... thoughts ... suggestions?

3. Prestige-Lawncare

How strange ... no thoughts, ideas or suggestions on bidding this type of customer.