question about bids/contracts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by B G Property Services, Jan 12, 2006.

1. B G Property Services

B G Property Services LawnSite Member

I am looking for about ten new commercial properties to mow this spring, but do not know how many bids to put in. Please let me know what percentage of bids that you put out turn into contracts. Greatly appreciated, Mark

2. B G Property Services

B G Property Services LawnSite Member

Also, does anyone have an exmark viking and what do you think about it. Thanks

3. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I am guessing that this would depend on a lot of factors...I don't do mowing, but I do landscaping. Location, Pricing, Salesmanship, Method of Delivery.

I think I land about 40 percent of the jobs I quote. That number should go down though as I raise my prices.

I would suggest that you put as many bids out as you can. And then when you get too many start raising your prices!

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Mark, that is going to be a tough question for people to answer. In addition, the answers would be all across the board. In regards to the viking. I do not have a viking but I do use Exmark. I really like the brand. Right now, I land about 50% of the commercial properties that I bid on. I only bid on those that I know that I have a really good chance at landing. I am sure that as I bid more on commercial that that rate will drop, but don't know.

5. allisland

allisland LawnSite Member

Bid with confidence and bid on anything and everthing you can handle the more you network the more work you get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Exmark great equipment period.

6. Hack

Hack LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark Viking and it seems like it is going to be a good mower. I just bought it a couple of months ago. I am told they will do the job early in the morning when the dew is still on. I am looking foreward to putting in some long hours with my Viking. What size are you going to buy?

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would agree, that around the 30 to 50% mark sounds good.