Question about bio-media

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by manfromearth, Sep 6, 2006.

1. manfromearth

manfromearth LawnSite Member

I am doing some work on an existing pond that has a bio-fall unit, but no bio-media in it. The unit is circular (about 2' diameter), has a filter in it and an empty bag for some media. My question is what are some materials I might consider using to fill the bag with? I know I can buy bio media to fill the bag with, and that is not out of the question, but I know that can be fairly pricy (I haven't checked recently, so maybe the price has gone down). The bio-fall unit is pretty large and it will take a lot of material (probably at least about 1 to 1.5 cubic feet) to fill the bag so that it is at least about 3"-4" thick with media. Is 3" to 4" thick enough? I have always heard that the more surface area you have the better off you are in maintaining a sufficient biological load. Also, I realize that the texture of the media is important. Is there some materials that I can buy inexpensively that will work as well as media bought from a pond material supplier? I have used scrunchies (those things women like to use when taking a bath or shower....OK, I like them too!) on some of the ponds I built way back when and they seemed to do well. As a side note, I have heard that using oyster shells is a good way to keep your ph from being too low. If I put them in the bio-media bag would they double as a media as well? Sorry for the long post....can't help myself! Ooops....The pond is about 1,500 gallons with three 6 to 8 foot long and high water courses and has 4 koi averaging about 15" long. Thank Ya'll :)

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want cheap biofilter material. You could run down to your local dollar store and buy those plastic brillo scrunchies they sell. You know... They look like plastic donuts, with a bunch of tiny holes in them. They will hold a ton of nitrifying bacteria due to their huge surface area (all of those holes tremendously increase the amount of surface area nitrifying bacteria can attach to. Those scrunchies normally are sold in mesh bags. You can put them into the filter, without removing them from the mesh bags.

Vic

3. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

lave rocks works well.

4. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

larva rocks should be fine for a pond. i install large aquariums with wet/dry filters. the bio balls are expensive.