Question about Bogonvilla

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KINGjosh, Jan 28, 2005.

1. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

What the best way to get these plants to flower. Ive already gave it some blooming fertilizer and been prunning it regularly but nothing?
  2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

is it getting full sun? If the plant was over fertilized (nitrogen) it may not flower they like a well drained acidic soil (5.5-6) also how much water do they get try letting them get to the point of almost wilting before watering this can get them to start flowering.
  3. Mats

Mats LawnSite Bronze Member

Bougainvilleas bloom on new growth. Maybe you're pruning too much and not giving the plant enough time to flower. Prune heavily in the spring (March) to promote new growth, then don't cut it again until after a flush of flowers. Once the blooming is over, prune one-half of the growth that ends in the bloom. Meaning, if the growth where blooming occurs has grown out 6 inches, prune off the old flowering bracts plus 3 inches of stem. With proper pruning and lots of sun, it will bloom again in about a month.
  4. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Its gets as much water as the grass gets, because of the automatic timers, And it probably gets only half of the days sun if that. I will cut the sprinklers on that side of the house to half of what its getting now. the fert that i am giving it is 15-30-15, should i give it something with less nitrogen? I dont think ive been trimming it to much, only about once every 3 weeks. I got to get this dam thing to bloom because my customer wont be satisfied until it does, It had one flower on it and that is it.
  5. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

I agree prune it a little heavy in Feb. or March. Try using Osmocote slow release fert., 14-14-14. Works very good!!