Question about building a flower bed wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by e_a_g_l_e_p_i, Jun 4, 2008.

1. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i LawnSite Member

I plan to build a wall along the front of my house, here is a pic of what I am talking about.
    http://www.eaglepi.com/images/house1.jpg

As you can see I live in a rambler and my question is, I want to build the wall about 3 -5 bricks tall and fill with soil and mulch. I have read that when you build a wall you should slope the fill away from the house. In my case the fill will be above the basement windows, how do you guys who do this as a profession handle that situation?

Thanks in advance

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

That should be fine as long as the finished grade slopes away from the house for drainage purposes. Are they egress windows?

3. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

I don't think you understood my question, If I build the wall as high as I want the fill dirt will be a lot higher than the windows. Right now the thing that extends so you can open the window which is below ground.

If I fill dirt in there which will be 12- 24 " it will cover the window openings. are there anything that you use to extend the windoe openings so the fill dirt doesn't fill in against the windows

4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like your window well comes up to the bottom of your sideing. You want to go higher than that? Not sure why you would want to do that. Maybe someone else here will have an answer for you.

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You would be foolish to raise the grade next to that house. It sits low now. It does not make sense.

6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i hate being on line cause i cant just go all john madden on the pic. but just create a box around the window in bricks orin steal or wood and raise it the hight of the bed. And thats if i am correct in thinking your gonna put a wall the full lenght of the house so you can get rid of those nasty pots. But i would also put some kind of like tyvek between the material and siding.

7. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Well a wall should be more than one landscaping brick high shouldn't it be???

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You can find some larger edging to use for your wall. One block might do it. You can go above your siding, and raise your egress window wells for the foundations, but..

I personally would leave it the way it is. I wouldn't raise the bed more than a couple of inches. Even though you could start covering the siding with dirt, you might be asking for structural problems on your house in the future. I would think about doing some nice plantings in that area to be able to achieve what your looking for.

9. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

So what you suggest I do is dig a trench and add sand and then just lay one brick so that part is below ground to help support it and only make a roll 1 brick tall. Most bricks I have seen look about 4-6" tall that doesn't give me much of a wall ????

I guess if I get a brick and lay it down that will be the best way to see how it will look.

Do I understand what you were saying??

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, that's the route I would go. Just check out how it looks, and see if you like it.

The best stuff to use for a wall in general is what we call CA6 packing material for the base. I'm not sure what they would lable it in your area. You need at least 6 inches of it compacted to hold a good base for your wall block.

Now, If it was me, and my home, I would dig a trench big enough for your block and put in at least 4 inches of Mortar to hold a single row of block or edging, instead of the fill or sand. I definitivly wouldn't use sand.

If you are just using one block high wall, you'll never have enough weight to keep it from shifting over time with the fill or sand. That's why I would use the mortar, or even cement.

Sobody else want to chime in, Those are my solutions, maybe someone has a better one.