Question about buying a mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RyanCJ7, May 21, 2004.

1. RyanCJ7

RyanCJ7 LawnSite Member

I tend to ramble on so If you dont feel like reading the whole post just skip to the bolded part:

I've been in the landscaping business for going on 5 years now and I have only really done mowing very little, i'd say 20% of my profit was mowing in my first year, and I bought an old used toro to start out with. As time has passed that % has gone down, especially as i've now got a rather large clientel of regular customers that regularily require heavy maintenance (2+ acres) and a growing amount of one and done jobs which usually bring on even more such jobs.

Anyways, I guess the point is that I feel I need to get into mowing more now to help my business grow even more, and plus it would be nice to have mowing accounts where I could offer my landscape services, overall it seems the right thing to do. However, i've never bought mowing equipment brand new, so I really dont know how I should go about buying a mower. Im pretty much set on a John Deere or Exmark W/B and Exmark ZTR. I have enough cashflow to pay for these items straight up so the real question here is should I be able to see a reduction in price due to the fact that I can pay cash, are there markups and if so how significant? does anyone have experience with such a situation? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. RyanCJ7

RyanCJ7 LawnSite Member

well, since this has fallen off of the first page ill give it one more try
  3. RyanCJ7

RyanCJ7 LawnSite Member

no really though, this is my last try, im just hoping someone can help me out.
  4. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

If I were you, I would call around mabye the 5 closest dealers of each (depending on distance) and get quotes from each. Then call back the closest one or the one you like best and say, "I have called around and gotten a lowest quote of $XXXX, if I were to pay 100% cash upfront, could you do $XXXX with tax out the door? I would really like to buy from you and I love your dealership" just make sure that that second XXXX with tax is still lower than the orignial quote .. Ex: Original: 7200 new: 7000 with tax. It may sound low, but you always start low and work your way up. All they can say is no..never hurts to ask..
  5. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

cash to a dealer really means little. dealers make their money off of financed units. they get residuals and that's why a dealer smiles even when the snow is flying.
  6. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were you, I would spend more money, and get a Bob-Cat WB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Bob-Cat WB belt drive,48" w/15 hp Kawi engine, and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Bob-Cat will NOT dissappoint you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This thread wasn't about bobcat. You did not help the orignal poster at all. Saying the same thing over and over in every post isn't helping someone. Why do you love the Bobcat? What features do you espeically like about it? How well does it cut? Does it cut well in high wet grass? Is the Bobcat easy to do maintenance on?
    If you continually keep typing the same thing over and over and just keep saying "I love my bobcat", I will remove the redundancy.
  8. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

I would go with either a Bob-Cat or an exmark. Exmark disperses clippings like none other, and have a very high blade tip speed. I am about to switch my fleet over to exmarks soon because of these reasones. Exmark also has a nice range of engines to choose from. Bob-cat is what i have now, and I LOVE MY BOBCAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (kidding) They are great mowers, very sturdy as i have used bobcats from different years and they are all bulletproof. Either way, you cant lose. Good luck.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what happened to this thread?

WINGNUT LawnSite Member

FOCUS ON THE QUESTION.....I like my JD wb. It got me started in bus. for not a lot of $. I have had no problems with it. Be careful of hills 'cause it is belt driven and it's like trying to stop a train with a limp noodle. I did put a set of jungle wheels behind it and increased productivity time. My dealer service has been great. I had a flat and they fixed it for free. The little 13 hp kohler starts on the first or second pull and even though the blades are timed, changing them is a breeze. I would by another JD product based on the performance and service I've seen so far.

I have NO experience with Exmark but I see a lot of them out there. I looked at them before I bought my JD, but the salesman was a POS, so no sale there.

Test both units and buy whichever one you like. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!