Question about Client/friend

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tg5273, Dec 13, 2008.

1. tg5273

tg5273 LawnSite Member

O.k here goes. I have a guy that lives two doors down from me that owns a home restoration/ handyman business, he stumbles on a plaza that wants him to take care of all the maintenance including the lawn care. So, he decides to subcontract the lawn maintenance to me. To make a long story short, after a few months of him slow paying me and an unreasonably picky owner of the property, I decided to have him get someone else take care of the property. I gave him a months notice as to my intentions, which he was fine with at the time. Well now I can't get my last payment from him, as I said he lives two doors down from me and our kids play together. How do you guys think I should handle this situation?

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Chuck it off to the school of hard knocks. Lesson learned, do not do business with neighbors or friends.

3. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

and of course family

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I also lerned the hard way NO more RENT homes

5. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

Can you live without the payment? If not and the subcontract you signed should have early out details. Me persona ly if i could let it go then do it, if not take legal action.

6. tg5273

tg5273 LawnSite Member

Can you live without the payment? If not and the subcontract you signed should have early out details. Me persona ly if i could let it go then do it, if not take legal action.

Yeah I can live without it. I think I will just chalk it up as a major lesson learned. My biggest issue is I don't want there to be any problems for the kids, one bad business decision I made should not have to affect my son. Thanks for the replies. TG :waving:

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

remind him you need payment, then Let it go.............

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I would also politely bring it up. If you don't want to ruin the kids friendship and it's not that much money then I guess let it go.

9. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

You can ask yourself if the stress and animosity of forcing the issue worth the money due.

10. B & B Yardscape

B & B Yardscape LawnSite Member

What everyone said, ditto.

My question would be, can you let it go and not bring it up later as a jab at him? stLike he says,"I'll pick up the dinner check." and you say, "You should you still owe me $???."

He knows he owes you, maybe he is a little more pissed than he let on. Has he found someone else to do the work?

I would let it go. Write it off as a loss. Keep the kids out of it and let them play.