Question about Clover

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ric, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Back in the Early 1950's before my family moved to Florida, My father seeded our house in cooperation with the neighbors etc. I remember it as quite the project. You have to know many of our new Chemicals and equipment weren't around then.

My father seeded in CLOVER with the grass seed, I only assume as a Nitrogen source. Back then everyone just used 6-6-6 on everything. Agriculture will still use Clover in improved pastures.

So the quick question is, Does anyone still use Clover in Residential lawns????? I am guessing not because it represents a Broad Leaf Weed.

2. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

From time to time, I still have customers asking for it, usually because of something they read on the internet about clover fixing its own nitrogen, etc. After explaining that their neighbors will be hating them when they all wind up with clover that's spread over, reality sets back in and we usually just go with fescue (metro NYC is right on the edge of the transition zone, so tall fescue still does pretty well here on low-input lawns).

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

JW

Kind of what I figured the answer would be. I believe here in the south only larger leave varieties of Clover are viable. Black and Red Clover instead of the White Clover. But I am not sure since we deal most with Oxalis which is clover like. Diacamba is about the only herbicide that will control clover.

I saw some Deer Forage Clover at Tractor Supply yesterday. So that is what sparked this question

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

only the tree huggers want it here, others hate the flowers.

truthfully though, old school lawns were grass, clover and other things and they were cut short for a reason.... prevent flowers so it is just green and neat and cut. that is my take on it and it can look fine in many settings but not a typical resi lawn.

no one asks for it though

5. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Ton of hop clover here, pain to get rid of..
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Just Call Me Tree Boy the Granola Nut and Tree Hugger because I went ahead and spread 4 lbs of Deer Forage Clover seed on my Bermuda just for the heck of it. 2,4-D will not hurt Clover so I can still control broad leaves. If it get to be a PITA I will just Spray 3 way.

I am in a working class neighborhood and I spray light doses of Roundup on my Bermuda so I don't have to mow it that often. Still I have the nicest lawn on the block. If the clover spreads to my Neighbors, So be it, It might make their weeds green.

Right now I am cloning Perennial Peanuts and Weidela to plant in ditches and banks. Neither one requires a lot of care or chemicals, so I guess I am being Lazy Green.

BTW The rain here today has been like a Teenage Cheer Leader since early morning. All show and no Go.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My tree-hugger daughter in Maryland planted clover in her Bermuda and tall fescue lawn.
    She is weird. True, it was partly my suggestion that influenced her to do this. Stay tuned.

9. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have a LOT of white clover in my lawn. I also live atop a hill on 3 wooded acres (can't see a neighbor's home from mine).

The deer love it. I grew up in a time and place where everyone had this in their lawn. It doesn't bother me in the least.

I've got a LOT of work to do on my lawn, but this is the least of my worries.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

It's a pain to mow because it never really dries out, clumps up and looks nasty.

Farmers use it for custom hay sometimes.