Question about Crape Myrtle

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MTAYLORFFP, Apr 10, 2007.

1. MTAYLORFFP

MTAYLORFFP LawnSite Member

I planted a new crate myrtle abour 3 weeks ago, appox 5 ft tall, 8 gallon size.. As you know, we had about 3 nights of lows in the 30's to mid 20's, and low and bwhole, I came home yesterday am and found that the leaves were as wrinkled and brown as they could be. I thought crapes were pretty hardy and would survive this little cold snap.. I contacted the place I bought them from and they said theirs was under a greenhouse and their leaves still wilted from the cold.. He said just to remove the leaves and after 2-3 weeks of warmer weather they should come back.. Is this true?

Also, from my earlier posts of the new homeowner,new sod.. The grass had greened up dramatically just to turn a greenish brown with 2 nights of frost... How long now will it take to regreen?

2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

you should be fine. take it easy on the water for a few days, and wait until you see it really start to grow bf you fertilize. if you see damaged leaves that means the tree will have less demand for nutrients and less ability to utilize water until it gets over the shock.

3. MTAYLORFFP

We're getting some rain today,tomorrow,and sat so other than that,Im not watering at all.. I was SO dissapointed in the yard when I came home!!

4. re151731

re151731 LawnSite Member

Friday and Saturday nights out on Hickory Withe (Fayette Co) were pretty cold and severely damaged all new growth.In the past when this has happened the frosted leaves would brown and drop off and new growth to folow.

5. MTAYLORFFP

Its funny that you metion hickory withe, I live in Oakland... I didnt realize they have internet there.. JK!

6. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Your Crape Myrtle will be fine. Crape Myrtles are like cockroaches. I have seen people cut them down, drill holes in the stumps, and fill the holes with Round-UP, etc and can't kill them. Crape Myrtles can withstand a hard freeze and just about anything. Don't worry.

7. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

Another question. Crape Myrtles leave behind those ugley little shells after it blooms. Should I cut those off. Obviously it would make the apperance MUCH better, but I was afraid to affect the next bloom.

8. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

Anyone know the answer?

9. MTAYLORFFP

I would think these little things die off anyway dont they? And eventually fall off? My crape so far has none of these things on it..

10. MTAYLORFFP

Id cut them when I prune, but thats JMO