Question about cutting height in KB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwost, May 24, 2005.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, I cut my kentucky blue at 3.5-4". Over the last few seasons i've I noticed that this time of year when the seed heads (flower) begin to show that I'm unable to cut them off. They remain and give my nice deep green grass a white tint. Should I cut it shorter this time of year or not worry and let it go until the end of it's flowering cycle? TIA

2. dwost

Anyone have input on this??

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the recommended cutting height for blue? I don't know anything about it because there's very little around here, but if you're getting seed heads, 3.5" to 4" is probably too long.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I cut mine @ 3" now and the blue will adapt to a point and start producing lower seed heads. I would lower to 3" over the next week or so (I cut my lawn 2 times a week now), until it quits producing the seed heads, then raise it back up to 3.5" - 4" for the summer.

5. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

for our area, mixed blue and fescue is usually cut at 3. It is good to cut in March or whenever that first cutting is at 2 and a half to get "even sun" to all the grass and get it to equally "flush" (of course we are beyond that now)

6. dwost

Thanks gang, I'll drop it down to 3" tonight when I cut and leave it for a few weeks.