Question about differences between Fastrack and Mini Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by mike freeman, Apr 30, 2004.

1. mike freeman

mike freeman LawnSite Member
    from DFW

After looking around I believe Hustler is the best match for me.

I only have about a half an acre of residential property, slight slope on most of it, but nothing scary. I’ve been pushing a 21” Toro with out any problem, but I’m getting lazy and want something that is quicker, so when the Toro started having engine trouble, I thought this is the perfect excuse to buy a new mower. (I’m single, so this logic still works :)

I was looking at the 44” deck, but then thought the 52” deck’s overhang would allow me to cut closer on the inside of curves in landscaping, etc. Are there any other trade offs between the two sizes? Save for a higher chance of scalping, most of the tradeoffs seem to support the 52”. I’m putting in most of the landscaping myself so I can match the curves to the mower’s capabilities, just didn’t look like the 44” had enough overhang to do much of an inside radius. (I don’t want to have to clean up with the 21” Toro.) I don’t have any small areas between trees, etc., that prevent the 52” from getting into any place. Gate is too small for 52”, but I wanted a 12’ gate so I can park my trailer(s) in the back yard anyway. (HOA doesn’t like me right now)

A couple of things I would like to do with the new toy is be able to move my empty trailers around. I have a flatbed tandem trailer and I’m looking into a small ski boat. I would only be moving them 20 feet on flat ground. Mainly just to mow under them. Most of the time the flat bed is up at the farm, so it would only be occasional moves. Is this totally unreasonable for a Z-rider? I know tractor mowers can do it.

I would also like to have a rear bagging option. I like the idea of mulching but was looking to reduce the amount of grass clippings my Giant Schnauzer drags in from the yard. ;) I think the side bagging option would be too wide for some areas of my lawn after future landscaping.

Any quality of cut difference between the two mowers (fastrack/mini z

Any suggestions on HP, I assume I would go with at least the 18 HP Honda and maybe the 20 HP on the Fastrack. Not sure which one I would get on the Mini Z.

I believe the Fastrack 20/52 is more then enough to do everything I need just wanted to see if I should consider the Mini Z. (I like having the best tools for the job, but I don’t want to waste money)

Thanks,
    mike

2. Dagoose

Dagoose LawnSite Member
    from NY

Mike,

For a half acre lot that you previously cut with a push mower, the Fastrak or Fastrak2 will be plenty. The deck size depends on your landscaping, if one pass of the 44" between trees and shrubs does the job, why spend the extra money for the 52?

I use a Fastrak/18/44 for my 2.5 acre lot. A 52" deck would have saved me just a few passes, the zero turn capability is where your time is saved.

The mini-Z for a half acre is over-kill. Use the money to buy your gate and a hot tub. That's my advice, it's your money.

-G-

3. mike freeman

from DFW

Dagoose
    yea, you're right about the mini z, I thank that was just a male ego response to wanting the best toy on the block.. umm I mean quality equipment. ;)

My desire for the 52" deck was due more to the over hang then rather then the extra size. The 44 doesn't have enough overhang for me to follow an inside curve with out the tires rolling up on the edging or me having to come back and clean up the missed area with a string trimmer. I don't mind edging, but I don't like having to mow an area with a string trimmer. ( It always looks hacked with my trimmer skills :(

I was considering the 42" on the fastrack 2, but with the rebates on the fastrack I really don't save that much and the fastrack seems to have more options, but if a fastrack 2 hits the dealer I wouldn't mind looking at it.

I plan on buying some 2"x2" tubing next week and welding up a nice 12' frame to finisht the gate. I was quoted $500 to have it done, and my time isn't that valuable.

Any ideas on whether the fastrack can move a boat trailer around or will it damage the mower? The dealer said no, but he also said that it was a commercial mower and that all his mowers had fixed mowing decks as he stomped on them with his foot. He carried Toro, JD, Hustler, etc., I'm no expert but I assume he didn't know what he was talking about on two of those answers, so I was wondering if he was wrong about the towing part?

Thanks,
    Mike

Secondly, any news on a rear vac bagger for the fastrack?

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The capacity of the FasTrak is not going to allow for towing of anything more than a roller or aerator, or a small lawn cart for yard work.
    Remember these mowers are made to perform at there best mowing, not towing.
    The Mini and Super Mini would be a little bit better towing, but still they are made for mowing, I would be worried about the weight of the trailer and how far I would need to move it.

Pj

5. Dagoose

Dagoose LawnSite Member
    from NY

I agree with the towing info, the fastrak can't do anything other than basic things like spreaders, aerators, dump carts. I don't even think I'd attempt to tow my roller with it.

I wasn't aware of a rear bagger option for the Fastrak. I was actually getting ready to purchase the awkward looking side mount grass catcher since it was the only option.

PJ, any info on pricing and availability would be great.

6. 696

696 LawnSite Member

Can you tell a difference between the 18 and 20hp? If so in what areas?

7. mike freeman

from DFW

I thought they were working on a rear vac bagger for the fastrack last year. Did it not work out?

Too bad about the towing, I just assumed if a cheesy little tractor mower could be used to push a trailer in and out of a parking spot, that the Fastrack would have more then enough power. I guess it isn't a big deal to use the truck, just trying to be lazy again ;)

I would expect it to be able to pull any lawn based equipment (roller, thatchers, etc.) with out any problem.

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is available through your Hustler dealer.
    It is made by a company called Humboldt MFG, and is sold through Hustler dealers.

[​IMG]

9. 696

696 LawnSite Member

Any idea on the cost???

10. miniZ

miniZ LawnSite Member
    from DFW Z8

Mike, What dealer are you working with in the DFW area?