question about dixie chopper ztrs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SOS Landscaping, May 18, 2008.

1. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Personally always loved this machines, and am in the market for my first one. Thing is I very rarely see any contractors using dixie choppers and I never really see any used ones up for sale unlike bobcats which everyone and there mom has, but I have a few dealers in the area so I know they are selling. Anyone I was looking into either a 50 or 60" classic. Talked to a few of my buddies and all they could say was that they sucked. They are way too fast to be cutting residentials unless they are some massive acreage properties. They said since they are so fast they dont get a good cut and it shows on the residential properties. How do you guys feel about this?

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about on cool season grasses but on our turf, you cannot beat the cut of the dixie!

There is no way that they are too fast, you have control of the sticks so you don't have to be mowing at top speed and the blade tip speed being higher is actually a good thing for cutting not bad.

You should demo one for the day and see how it does on your grass. You probably won't be disappointed.

3. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

that is exactly what I thought. Faster blade speed means less burnt grass cuts, and you only go as fast as you push the levers so I dont see the problem. I figured I dont see much of them is because they are higher priced meaning the only ones who really use them are big pro guys and I dont seem them sold because people hold onto them.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They cut fine here, some people like the design and some do not. Just a matter of taste I guess. I know of nothing inherently wrong with a Dixie. If you like chrome, camo, and astro turf it is probably the right ZTR for you (no offense). If there were any major problems with Dixie we would be hearing about it here. They are comparable in quality to any major ZTR.

5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I demoed one last year in the fall and was happy with the mower. The controls are a little touchy but the main reason I didn't buy one was dealer support. Nothing within 50 miles of me and he was dropping the line.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've never heard anyone say a Dixie is too fast before. Like SOS said above, just because the mower will run 15 MPH doesn't mean you have to cut grass that fast of you don't want to.