Question about dixon ztrs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doubleedge, Apr 26, 2008.

1. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Which ones are the commercial ones, the light ones or the dark ones? My dealer says that the dark ones are commercial, but he has 36" of the dark ones. I checked dixon's web site, and the 36" is residential. Thanks for your input.

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Grizzly, Kodiak, and Black Bear - all dark blue.
    A friend down the road has a 25Hp w/60" Kodiak - very smooth ride and cut. :usflag:

3. doubleedge

from ND

Is the dark 36" last year's model then? There is not a 36" commercial any more.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

You sure it's not a 34"? The Black Bear is very much a commercial machine. In talking to a couple guys they are very impressed with the Black Bear model, and the fact that you can get a for real blower assisted grass catcher for it. Something that NONE of the other brands offer.

I ran Dixon machines for years, overall I had great success with them. My last one was a Kodiak, that was actually made by Dixon, and while I liked the machine overall I was having too much hydro pump troubles, the engine was already shot (kohler POS) and the dealer mechanic was giving me fits, so I traded it for a Grasshopper. Now I sooo wish I had that dixon back!

5. doubleedge

from ND

It says 36" right on the side... I did notice that it has a very thin deck though. The main reason I want it is to suck up after dethatching at smaller properties.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Does it not say what model it is? I don't recall, as I really haven't watched them that closely, but maybe the black bear was a 36" and they have made it a 34" just recently? If it's not as black bear, and it's that small, it's not a true commercial machine... It would be a speedztr or whatever they call them. I also wouldn't look at the shade of blue. THey are all the same blue now. It's been a couple years since the small resi. models were a light blue and the commercial models were dark blue.