1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question About Doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stumper1620, Oct 19, 2005.

1. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok Guys,
    I searched and have just a couple questions remaining.
    I've never run doubles and I'm not happy with the way my Gators are mulching leaves.
    I'm thinking of Highlifts over Gators. This is for my JD 737 54",
    1st, would this be a good combination? I'm getting blowout with just the gators.
    2nd, if I do this do i need to get a different set of Gators with a smaller center hole? JD uses big center holes. 5/8 blots.
    any help would be appreciated.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If your going to go with doubles for leaves....go with double Gators.

Assuming JD is the way they were in the 80's-90's with the spindle nub protruding into the blade, then yes, you'll need a 5/8" center hole Gator in the length of your normal blade. This would be your lowest blade, and thus should be full length.

Double Gators will require some horsepower, but not as much as a highlift/gator combo.

You may want to specify a .203" thick Gator hi-lift as the thicker Gator Magnums are .250" and will drain even more power.
  3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks TLS,
    That is what I was after, I will see what I can come up with today. Ya the center hole is, I would guess around 1 to 1 1/8", so I wasn't sure how everybody was addressing that.
    Again thanks, I have to go past a supplier today so I will stop and get what I need.