question about doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Apr 7, 2003.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i'm using a 36" wright stander with a 15 hp kawi engine, i just put on doubles and it seems to bog down a bit. i've never run doubles before so should i have any problems from the extra weight?

2. I run doubles on my 36” Stander, but it has a 17hp. The double blades make a noticeable difference in the load, so with a 15hp, you will see it bog down. To make it easier on the clutch, I throttle to ½ way, engage the blades, then throttle up to max. I also put ¼” thick rubber skirting all around the sides and back of the deck to reduce all the blowout.

BTW, very efficient setup you have there. But you knew that, LOL.

3. AielLandscaping

good idea about the skirting, what did you use to make it with? and how would you attach it?

4. I'm going to hoist it up off the ground and take a picture for ya in the morning. But I used 6.5" wide, by 1/4" thick rubber. I hoisted it about 6 feet in the air, and drilled bolt-holes to hold the skirting. Pic will follow tomorrow.

5. Under the mower, looking toward the front.

103-0367_img.jpg

6. Looking back.

103-0369_img.jpg

7. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

How come they are arranged in a X I thought they have to be like a +

8. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

so what happens when u hit something do they get out of the plus pattern? and can i do that on my scag without problems?

9. AielLandscaping

so the flap only goes along the back of the deck? where did you get the material to make the flap?

10. On the trim-side, I doubled the strip of rubber back on itself. This loop sticks (flares) straight out from the deck about 3" and allows me to dig grass out of corners. The bolts are 5/16"-18 with Fender Washers and Nylon-Insert Lock-Nuts. Be sure to place the bolts on the trim-side away from the outer edge so you don't catch them on a fence. For drilling in the tight spaces, I used a Right-Angle drill with Screw-Machine (stub-length) drill bits. Drilling is a MAJOR hassle, helps to have it hoisted like this. But the results are great for reducing blow-out, striping, and mulching tons of leafs.

103-0368_img.jpg