1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about drains and pop-ups....

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Drafto, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

When I took the ICPI certification course Russ Heitman was the instructor, he briefly described routing downspouts under walkways and using pop-up and drain boxes. Have any of you done an install this way? I am doing some research on it and have come up a little short.

Does anyone have a good detail of how to do this?
    How deep does the drainage stone go?
    Does the installation need any fabic?

These are questions I have that a simple detailed drawing would answer.

If anyone has anything, I appreciate it.

2. Drafto

No one yet?
  3. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Home Depot or Lowes has the pop-ups for $10

Use 4" black corrugated solid or 4" white...your choice.

Keep a slope for drainage, make sure the water continues too drain away from the foundation. 2 weeks of spring growth and you will never see the pop-uo.

I charge $125 for a 10 section with pop up. Each downspout should have one. Extra length is an additional $8 a foot. Excavating under a sidewalk adds another $100 to the cost.

Do not overthink a simple project
  4. Drafto

So I just plumb the downspout to a tee, the tee goes up to a pop-up and down to drain on 3/4 clean buried stone? Is that overkill?

5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I do exactly what you said and it works. I use a slotted, green, 4" cap instead of the pop up. Attach it to pipe with a couple of screws at soil level. The grass will grow over it but it will still do its job. I was always concerned about the pop up getting stuck up after a few years.
  6. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Pop ups will break. Also not very strong. Look into the small 8" drain baskets with agreen grate. Rain bubbles out, no mechanical problems.
  7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Only problem with the big grates is that they will be too noticeable. Grass will cover the 4" pop-ups and hide them without hindering their function.

8. Drafto

How deep do you excavate for your 3/4" stone? No basin or drain box or anything? Any fabric around the stone? It seems to easy......

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Are you asking about installing under a paver patio?To drain the downspout?Or in a lawn?
  10. Drafto

If you look in the pictures from my driveway post, I have 4 downspout I have to get under the driveway, away from the house.