1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about employees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Husky05, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

This year I have decided that I need to hire someone to work with me fulltime and not sub them out with a 1099. I need to bite the bullet and pay the taxes, of fica, unemploy, soc security, etc. and I also need to put them on my workers comp policy.

Well last week I place an ad in the paper looking for hardworking individuals that want a full-time job. Today was the first day the ad runs and I get about 15 calls. 13 out of the 15 people that called today dont have drivers license's. The reasons I heard are as follows: I have gotten too many DUI's, I just got out of Jail, It is revoked, I never got one. Well this is beside the point, we all know good help is hard to find. My question is, is there a way I can put new employees on a trial period before I have to pay to place them on my workers comp policy? Because I dont want to hire someone and judging from my 15 calls, a deadbeat, pay to put them on my policy and either 1. Say they are hurt so they can claim on it, or 2 quit after a week and me being stuck with a bill that was almost avoidable?

Anyones input on this matter would be great. Thanks everyone and have a great day!
  2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

The workers comp goes by payroll.. I think their is a minuim amount you can buy, but basically if they work for just one day thats all you pay for.. My comp is like 14% so even if he works a week and then you can him it does cost much. The pain in the as* is the tax end of it..As far as the claim thing goes I know that their are plenty of people out their that just wait to get a job and act like they get hurt to file a claim..
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

apparently your add was written in english. try writing same ad in spanish and compare the quality of applicants.
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Are you sure you're not advertising in the newspapers here?LMAO..I don't know how the younger generation gets around with all of them having revoked licenses...lol:drinkup:

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

EXACTLY...try advertising in a spanish newspaper, they have them everywhere.
  6. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

From my experience they base your amount on last years payroll and you get an insurance audit each year. Go over that amount and thell bill you, if your payroll is under the amount youll get a refund. Dont let the word audit scare you, it has always been over the phone with us although if something looks fishy they will want to look at you payroll records deeper. If your just cutting lawns make sure you tell them that and not landscaping, Landscaping Rating per $100 or what ever is more because of the back injuries, so I was told.Your new so thell ask you for a number of hours per week you plan on using help.Our first time applying for w/c they just asked for our estimated payroll hours . (not intended to be proffesional advise, My insurance agent could sell me the Brooklyn bridge, I have no idea half of what she says.)