Question about Exmark w/ ECS.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this sounds stupid, but on a hydro model how do you go in reverse? I see on the dash N-1-2-3-4-5. I have been thinking about maybe getting a turf tracer for small yards but I am curious about this.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Squeeze the handles all the way in. Like any other hydro the speed lever controls the handle throw. Halfway in is neutral and all the way in is reverse. The ecs is very nice once you get used to it. Especially if youve ever been hip checked by the old style handles.

3. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I demo's a 48" TTHP w/ ECS. While I like the hand positioning the ECS affords, I discovered that for me, the action was a bit too jerky for my tastes. No matter how gentle I was with finessing the levers - turning or direction changes - I just couldn't get fluid movement. I'm pretty sure if I had more time with the mower things might have improved. FWIW I also demo'ed one of the new Toro hydro's with the Split T-Bar [They have officially changed the name from "T2 T-Bar" to "Split T-Bar" as told to me by the Toro rep] around the same time and found that I could be more smooth with the Split T-Bar.

YMMV...

4. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

prob you had was that they were too tight, the linkage when new or when hasnt been used for awhile stiffens up

when i got my new ones i used white lithium on all the tie rod linkages and any pivot point in the linkage and the thing is awesomely responsive now

if you come to pa i have 3 60"ers for sale!

5. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the machines aren't any different then a piston grip. The handles are just turned upright basically. Nothing is different.

All new hydros are jerky. Wait till they wear in. You'll wish they were jerky again!!!