question about fish

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by jd-dave, Jul 10, 2006.

1. jd-dave

jd-dave LawnSite Member

ok so I used to have 5 gold fish, 3 koi, 2 fantails, and on black fish with big eyes. two of my koi died all of the gold fish died. I have tryed everything that I could find on the inter net to get my fish well. does anyone know why my fish would be dying?:confused:

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

How long did they live in the water before they died? Have you tested the water? What kind of filter system do you have?

3. jd-dave

jd-dave LawnSite Member

idk everything that I have I got at walmart, I havnet tested the water yet. Im going to soon tho and I have had the fish about 3 weeks. and I have one koi fish in there thats been in there the whole three weeks.
    I have a $54 kit by home trends
    heres a pic of it
    [​IMG]
    I put the start right conditioner and dechlorinator in it, so its not the chlorine.

4. jd-dave

jd-dave LawnSite Member

another of my fantels just died. now I only have one left ):

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

If the wal-mart there is anything like the wal-mart in my neck of the woods. I wouldn't buy anything from them. When I had my pet store, that was a fairly common complaint about thier quality, or lack there of. How long was the pond set up before adding any fish?

6. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Could be a number of things. How much did you feed them? And personally I think the pond could be too small for that number of fish. Be interesting to see if that last one survives...if he does...maybe he's the killer!;) :laugh:

Buck

7. me1223

me1223 LawnSite Member

The pond does look too small, for that many fish, although it does depend on many things, like the ability of the filter and pump. You might also want to look at the dead fish to see if there is anything wierd on them, like water fleas, or some kind of fungi.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

check into the water temp also for that many fish in a small area.:confused:

9. jd-dave

jd-dave LawnSite Member

well now I dont have anyfish in there. the water is still in there. Im going to test the water befor i put anymore fish in there, is there any more important things I need to know befor I put more fish in it?

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

get a pH test kit. most fish want 7-7.5 pH.

Also, start with some small fish to get some bacteria in the pond, if the water is too sterile then they'll die too. You can buy aquarium starter bacteria for that pond since its so small. Also that pond looks to be too small to support the number of fish you originally stated.