1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question About Froze Up Engine!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jphag, Sep 12, 2004.

1. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

I was servicing my briggs and straton engine today and changed the oil and after I was done went to start and on the 3rd or forth pull the engine froze up. Why would this happen? :confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Too much oil, oil in cylinder, too much grass clogged under deck, etc.

Take off spark plug cap and plug, try again. If it doesnt work try to turn blade by hand. Basically just diagnose it, look at all that was mentioned.

Good luck!
  3. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

It wasn't a mower. It was a power rake. I will check the oil level but I only put in 1/2 a quart. Any other suggestions?
  4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

This has got to be that pos Briggs with the pulsajet carb.!

You could check the oil in the converter box(step down) (whatever its called, im drinkin)

Could also be sticking valve, both closed, or the camshaft. Could also be something in the flywheel that is stopping it.
    Those engines would stick valves easy, not as likley the camshaft. Especially if it sits awhile and you have been running old fuel.
  5. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

May not be a frozen engine....Could be a starter assembly that has jammed up....Happened to me once. You can test this by removing the recoil starter assembly and pulling on the string.... if it doesnt come out then the assembly is jammed....If it does come out easily you can then try turning the flywheel by hand....If it rotates (engine that is)...then engine is not jammed and there could be something wrong with recoil starter assembly (intermittent problem that is....usually an engine wont lock up). If engine still wont turn (when you try to hand turn the flywheel w/o the starter assembly on), remove the spark plug and try to turn again (my old ford 8n tractoor had a stuck float and all the cylinders literally filled up w/ gas making a "frozen engine" (hydraulically locked)........I suppose (in worse case) had you run the engine and the engine suddenly stopped a rod could have broken (or other part broke) and jammed the engine....making for a "frozen" engine. Good luck. Hope you get it running....