question about grass problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeshere89, May 26, 2004.

1. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

anyone have a clue what could be wrong with a customers lawn i have been mowing, it is starting to turn brown or should i say dying on me and when i mow i can see my footprints in the yard even when im done, i have heard about this but dont remember how to remedy it. please help yard is starting to look bad.

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

WATER! WATER! WATER!

3. mikeshere89

from iowa

we have had nothing but rain. everyday for the last two weeks. i put down prem like five weeks ago also

4. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Is it craking under your feet and dry or over watered and fungy.

5. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

i would try cutting it shorter than normal to try and dry out the roots a little maybe its drowning. If not maybe a fungus got it.

6. mikeshere89

from iowa

i was going to back it this week and see if i could lift the thatch out of the lawn maybe this will help, its like the grass has no moisture in it. its thick but brown.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It's most likely the "F" word. Fungus :(

There are many types of it and it can be really hard to diagnose which one. So don't let fear of ridicule from others here stop you from asking for help. Feel free to discribe the symtoms a bit more and I'll try to help what I can.

Gory precise details, early morning examination, distant pics and very close up pics of the blades are needed in some cases because some diseases are similar and some vary as well.

I never had to deal with much disease other than Brown Patch on occasion until the spring of 2003. Now all that has changed. Damp humid weather is what this stuff loves. So now I'm getting a little experience and see the need to become better educated on the subject.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hold off and ID the disease first. You may only promote the spread of whatever disease it is by doing that. Also be careful as you could spread it to other customers as well.

9. mikeshere89

from iowa

envy i will get the pics now and see what you think

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

could be brown patch