Question about grasshopper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bryan McMullen, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Bryan McMullen

Bryan McMullen LawnSite Member

Have any of you guys tried double blades on a grasshopper,and if so what set up did you use.I have also been considering on buying a bagger but I do not know if I want to part with the 1500 for it.What is youre opinion on the bagger.
  2. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

well i have a hopper, but have not tried the dbl. blades yet. i plan on giving them a shot this season. i was also wondering how they would work on the hopper.

i also have a grass collection system on my mower. i like it a lot when it is needed. when the grass is really thick. when the leaves are really thick. or when i gain a customer b/c their lawn "has" to be bagged. of course i take into consideration the extra time/energy it takes to bag into my price. also i DO NOT HAUL OFF CLIPPINGS! but there is a price for everything!!$$

the bagger is good to have when needed, however hopefully with the dbl blades and more frequent mowing i can bag less! more frequent mowing is a key!
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have 2 Grasshopper mowers. I refuse to bag grass. I only bag leaves, with a place to dump them. The bagger works great on grass or leaves. However the mower looses it's handling on hills (with bagger). It gets top heavy. Its sort of like driving your pck-up truck with a load of bricks in the back. When I'm not doing leaves, the bagger comes off(4 nuts).
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got 2 Grasshoppers and I have the mulching 52" deck on both. I tried dbl blades just to see what they would be like but for me I didn't like the fact that I'd constantly be blowing clippings into beds. Grasshoppers setup with thier mulching decks work just fine yearround for grass and leaves. However, I don't use Grasshopper blades. I use the mulching blades from Exmark. They seem to give a much better cut. Most of the guys around here who use Grasshoppers also use the Exmark blades. If I ever get a mid-mount I'm sure it would be an Exmark just because of their blade design.
  5. Bryan McMullen

Bryan McMullen LawnSite Member

Hey ED,
    Where do you get the ex-marc blades from,a dealer or web-site.I do not have a dealer near me.

6. Ace 1

Ace 1 LawnSite Member

You say you put exmark blades on a grasshopper?
    Well i have a 618 with a bagging unit and am now using grasshopper mid lift blades are the exmark midlift blades as good as what grasshopper recommends? Just curious maybe
    it will work out better what do you all think.
    Ace Lawn Care