1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about hourly rate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnstar, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

For the most part I have always worked alone. However last week I hired two men to help me. I charge $35.00 per hour when I work alone.

We cleaned up leaves at my first account and worked on it for 2 hours. The two men worked just as hard as I did.

My question is should I bill for 6 man hours (3 men @ 2 hours = 6 man hours).
    Or should I bill for 2 hours for my part and add to that what I pay my two employees for those 2 hours.

Any thoughts? Thanks

2. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

Charge per man hour. Just look at it as it would have taken you six hours to do it alone so charge accordingly.
  3. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely bill for 6 hours @ $35 = $210 otherwise whats the point in having employees. They were on the clock on the way to and from the property, you have to pay Workman's comp pay for the equipment they were using fuel ect. ect. ect. Don' cut yourself short, if you only charge $70 you probably just lost money if you are running a legit business. Just my .02
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That's a no brainer...6 man hours times your hourly rate.
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed - no brainer. You always charge your hourly rate for each man. Why would you do it any other way?
  6. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Yup...what everyone else said!!!
  7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I charge my hourly rate if there is 2 guys or 10 thats the only way to make money.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

6 man hours wthout a doubt

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

No doubt, 6 man hours. Like others said don't sell yourself short, because if you do you may sell yourself out of business. The price of equip., gas, supplies, TIME, etc. is to high not to charge accordingly. Josh