Question about ICT and other ct used in the landscape

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by TMGL&L, Nov 30, 2008.

1. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

I understand that compost tea is relatively harmless compared to the products people commonly use in their lawns however I wondering about the its effects on the ph of the soil.

So if I have a bacterially dominant ct, such as ICT for example, and I use it on a shrub, or on the root ball of a new tree, or any other plant that prefers fungally dominated soil or soil that is more acidic...Will this have any adverse effects to the soil (for the plant that is...).

I guess teaming with something is better than teaming with nothing, however, I don't want to innoculate with a team of microbes shooting for the wrong side of the litmus paper if I can.

2. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

most all real compost tea's will be close to neutral -/+

just for clarification real CT and bottled products should never be compared.
    they are not even closely related except that biology is involved with both

bill's product pH....guess he will have to answer that?

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

real tea is the way, get a 5 gallon bucket and 3 or 4 pet shop air pumps with stones and let it go !!! total cost 50$????why not use the real??

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Brewed compost tea can be brewed to have higher or lower fungal counts and great diversity of microbes. ICT Tree has known specific fungi beneficial for trees & shrubs.

5. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Well I was always told to avoid making my own tea because of the risk of culturing anarobes (which would be hard to do with an air stone or two) and/or creating the next big e-coli infestation.

I do feel more comfortable buying ICT's product anyway. I have had success with it, its very cheap, it requires little preperation, and in order to care for large scale properties I would probably need more than a bucket to match the potency of the ICT I bought.

...And I'm not worried about the actual ph of the tea liquid itself. I'm more worried about the natural tendancy of bacteria to create a more basic environment and fungus's tendancy to make the area more acidic. (maybe its the other way around...or completly wrong:rolleyes: ). In other words, I don't want to apply a tea that is gonna change my soil ph the wrong way over the course of a month from growing populations of the wrong microbes.

6. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

7. treegal1

ROFL that is real funny. I do 150 plus acres with my tea brewers. and the Escherichia coli ( its compost tea not turd tea ) but thats ok, just stick to the label, it works for a lot of folks that cant figure out how to DIY.

get BILL to send your 5$

8. treegal1

also ask bill about chasing the pH (see I did it correctly bill, JK) he will get you headed in the correct direction. as far as me and pH its a mater of in the field pH has no use or need , just forget it!!!! in research or brewing, diagnosis, then pH is useful. or in a chem world pH all the time so your plants dont die. so to quote Bill" dont chase pH "

let me give one example got this yard, real nice won awards and perks and the works news paper garden mag the whole 9, the pH is all over 8- 5.7 palms in acid grass in lime, azaleas next to natives, mango's in the lawn, cactus in a rain forest. started off with tea and compost added some bone char, and sulfur( not to adjust pH) little wood ash and more tea day and night. went test nuts( 4700.$) and still got some wild results. one test was done in a square food 25 test cores and the high pH was 7.9 and the low was 6.2 in one foot of dirt!!! mixed some samples up and got 3 different pH of of one pound of dirt 7.0-7.8.

hope I got all my pH 's correct so some yahoo does not rip me up like Bill got ripped. LOLOL and just over 2 letters OLOL its so funny.spell check for pH sponsored by ICT. JK.

9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Tree is correct don't chase PH, the microorganisms that inhabit the rhizosphere determine the PH for the most part, exception - disturbance

We do have a product that was made to select for fungal dominant soils 1-2-3 Tree, we use more fungal foods and the bacteria to fungi ratio is around 1:4. It is a good mix of endo and ecto mycorrhizae and other fungi, I posted the label on another post, I can post it again if you like

I was always told that endo myco dont colonize trees but a discussion with Dr Mike Amaranthus cured me of that thinking, there are certain trees that don't colonize with endo maybe someone has a list they would like to post, but most trees, shrubs and perennials do

10. treegal1

I just put it out there and let the tree/micro herd decide. most tropical spec love myco